News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How not to etch an enclosure :)

Started by irmcdermott, August 29, 2011, 05:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Well, attempted to etch my first enclosure, and it wasn't a total failure, but learn from my mistake...

Do NOT use acrylic paint to touch up your transfer. I thought I was using enamel, however, I was not. And when I went and checked my enclosure, I lifted it up and all of the paint fell right off. Oh well. Live and learn. Will definitely give it another try when I have the correct paint. I'm just glad this Qvibe is a build for me and not a friend....

Always read your labels :)

cjkbug

that sucks man, that that happened not your etch... the actual lettering looks pretty clean. the dykem markers from small bear work great for reinforcing your transfer. and testors model paint pens work good for blocking out large areas easily with no mess.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

irmcdermott

Quote from: cjkbug on August 29, 2011, 05:57:18 PM
that sucks man, that that happened not your etch... the actual lettering looks pretty clean. the dykem markers from small bear work great for reinforcing your transfer. and testors model paint pens work good for blocking out large areas easily with no mess.

Yeah, that's the frustrating part. The letters look great, but the paint melted right off, so all the reinforcing i tried to do was useless. I'll get it next time. Hitting up Hobby Lobby tomorrow to by some black Testors enamel.

timbo_93631

To be honest I really dig the look of that!  Post apocalyptic Qvibe! If you want to sell that one, I have my Qvibe board still waiting for parts alongside my new dig dug pcb's from Keefe.  Haven't ordered my latest round of enclosures yet.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Melonhead

i bet with a proper graduation of steel wool and wet/dry sanding you could really buff a lot of that pitting out.  of course without holding the thing in my hand there's no way to be sure, but just a thought.

TRADAmpGuy

Im with Timbo, looks... road worn 8) I know it isnt what you were going for but still 8)

thetrend77

masterlk

I just had something similar happen(a failed etch) but it wasn't the paint that messed my etch up....I left it in the solution to long. It looks kind of similar to your picture(only a bit worse). It's a Slambox in a 1590a. I was really stoked too since my toner transfer was nearly perfect. I will be using the enclosure anyway....I guess it's part of the 'Road Worn' series...

slimtriggers

irmcdermott

Quote from: masterlk on August 30, 2011, 07:50:14 AM
I just had something similar happen(a failed etch) but it wasn't the paint that messed my etch up....I left it in the solution to long. It looks kind of similar to your picture(only a bit worse). It's a Slambox in a 1590a. I was really stoked too since my toner transfer was nearly perfect. I will be using the enclosure anyway....I guess it's part of the 'Road Worn' series...

Yeah, I was pumped to get a great transfer, cover the thing in thick mask of paint... and felt totally defeated when I lifted it out to check the progress only to find my paint bubbling and melting off. Oh well. Buying some Testors stuff today. I really dig this etching thing. Going to give it another try for a different pedal.

Ian

Rockhorst

Great grunge look indeed. Maybe even give the grunge and the letters different colors?

pandadandan

cjkbug

It also helps to rinse the thing off in cool water every few seconds. the aluminum really heats up the etchant quite a bit more than copper. the heat causes the acid to eat even quicker causing even more heat. the whole process can get away from you really easy if you let it. a good etch on aluminum doesn't have to be all that deep to show up well.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Its really not that bad! Thanks for the note though, I'll stay away from acrylic paint as a cover up. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time now...
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

slimtriggers