News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drawing a schematic: software recommendations?

Started by Addy Bart, July 04, 2017, 11:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Addy Bart

Hey,

I'm trying to draw a schematic using Eagle 7 on my mac, but it's frustrating using the track pad (every time I try to select Properties using the right mouse click gesture, I zoom in).

Is there an easier program? I don't need to make a PCB layout, just draw the scheme.

Cheers,

Addy

m-Kresol

I don't have any recommendations. When I've read the title, I thought "eagle" immediately, actually. On mac, right click doesn't zoom in as you describe. might just be an option somewhere in the preferences menu?
I have to admit, though, that Eagle has some very odd "features" like Ctrl+C/V/X not being implemented and so forth. It definitely has a steep learning curve.

the other program that I've heard of is Diptrace, but I can't offer any opinion here. Ben (rullywow) is the expert on diptrace, iirc.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

mjg

I know there are some Fritzing haters on the board, but it might do what you want.  Give it a try, it's free. 

I keep meaning to learn Eagle, but for the rare occasional schematic drawing it's quicker to just fire up Fritzing again.

galaxiex

I use expressSCH. It's free. Comes bundled with expressPCB. You don't have to use the PCB part of it.

Fairly easy to learn, comes with a library of components and google will find more.
Plus you can create custom components.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

davent

I use expresspcb as well but unless things have changed it's Windows only.

Jschem is based on expresspcb and i think can work in conjunction with it but is suppose to run on any platform.

Expresspcb i found super easy to learn, free and ugly as sin. If i need to dress it up i import the schematic into Inkscape and use that. ( Haven't tried Jschem.)

http://dhost.info/jschem/

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

galaxiex

Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

Addy Bart

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - it's good to hear what you're using. After installing version 8 of Eagle, the track pad issues seem to be fixed, so I'll carry on with the schematic I started... but Fritzing and JSchem look good so I'll fire those up too.

Cheers guys   :)