News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean Chunkchunk

Started by nzCdog, July 07, 2017, 09:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Finally built one for myself... made one similar a few years ago which I sold, had the spare decal sitting around since then. 
*Wowrarecollectible* NOS J201s   ;D

Always liked this pretty fierce Dual Rec sounding overdrive.  The EQ was never perfect in this circuit, but it's very useable.   :)

alanp

Tonestack is close enough for rock n roll, eh? :)

You almost expect the wiring to be orange!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

shedland

Choice looking build there.

Nice work on the decal, is it a waterslide?

gordo

That's a really cool idea doing treadplate on a decal.  Very slick build in and out.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

nzCdog

Thanks for the kind words  :)

Quote from: alanp on July 07, 2017, 10:07:06 PM
Tonestack is close enough for rock n roll, eh? :)
Acceptably within rock n roll tolerances, aye. I'm a set and forget kinda guy anyway ;D

Quote from: shedland on July 07, 2017, 11:17:44 PM
Nice work on the decal, is it a waterslide?
Cheers mate. It's laser printed on white sticker paper. The enclosure was a black powder coat from Tayda, all finished with matt varnish.  :)

mcasemo

Beautiful!   I'm getting started looking into jfet overdrives/distortion, never built any, not looking forward to learning about jfet measurements.

stringsthings

That looks great!  Excellent graphics and choice of knobs.
All You Need Is Love

WormBoy

Thing of beauty, both outside and inside! How does it sound? I know it's capable of a lot of distortion, but does it stay reasonably defined? Too bad the Chunk Chunk is now discontinued ... have to build me one on perf  then 8).

nzCdog

Thanks all :)

Quote from: WormBoy on July 09, 2017, 10:10:05 AM
How does it sound? I know it's capable of a lot of distortion, but does it stay reasonably defined?

There's actually quite a discussion about this at various building forums.  I'm not a huge fan of the EQ section, but it's definitely useable. The single biggest factor I can tell in controlling the sound and performance is the bias of your FETs.  There are plenty of posts about tricks, tips and special recipes.  Suffice to say, being a  discrete FET circuit, it's a little moire finicky than some to get right. 

I'm no authority on Djent or Chugg... but it ticks the angry metal box for me.  Check out youtube demos, I also made a fairly average recording on the last pedal I made,  see below ;D

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/nzcdog/dr-boogie-demo[/soundcloud]

Jakes Dad

Very nicely done.

Our 17 year old Chihuahua's secondary name is Booger.

Chuck

nzCdog

Quote from: Jakes Dad on July 09, 2017, 08:02:49 PM
Our 17 year old Chihuahua's secondary name is Booger.

Chuck

That's uncanny!  And very cool. 8)

My avatar is just from the internets, such a great facial from a pooch... "Mummy's special boy!  Can has whatever I wants!"  ;D

WormBoy

Quote from: nzCdog on July 09, 2017, 06:31:52 PM
I'm no authority on Djent or Chugg... but it ticks the angry metal box for me.  Check out youtube demos, I also made a fairly average recording on the last pedal I made,  see below ;D

Thanks for the demo; that sounds pretty impressive. Will put this one on the todo list  ;D

gordo

That's a great demo!  I'm surprised at how clear the notes are even with all that gain.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?