News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Icon Series #7 - Dark Lord (relax, it's Darth Vader) - Wampler Sovereign.

Started by Willybomb, July 10, 2017, 12:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.

Here's Dark Lord, a Wampler Sovereign on vero with the boost toggle moved to a footswitch. 

Tight, messy build.  It would help if I had measured the vero against the same layout I've used for the last 5 BB builds - the jacks could have been moved down and it would have helped immensely.  I'm certain I followed the layout correctly, but all my pots are backwards except the volume. I'll fix that sometime.  The vero is insulated from the enclosure by double sided foam tape, and this is on the backplate to stop it moving around and/or shorting the trannies.

This is a Tayda powdercoated enclossure, seems pretty good.  I was going to get it lasered but the laser caught fire some time ago and they haven't replaced the laser beamy part yet, so it has a waterproof laser sticker with a couple of coats of rustoleum Motospray acrylic lacquer over the top (see Phat Boy and Double Looper for other examples).  That rustoleum seems ok, but chipped when I tightened the in/out jacks.  Might need to try harder to find spraymax 1k.

The knobs are aluminum, from Tayda, and are probably my favourite part of this build.

Willy.

nzCdog

Too... much... epicness... :o 8)
That is cool on so many levels... love the graphics, so clean.  How do you like the Sovereign?

Willybomb

It's *nearly* as good as my HT-Dual. This one seems to darken as you lower the gain though. Putting the boost on a footswitch is the way to go as it makes it a dual channel pedal.

I like it a lot. It is missing *something* though.

I'm not sold on it as a low gain job but that might be the pot taper. The demos seem to cover a wider range but I'm using himbuckers. High gain, fantastic.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings