News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bad news for Soundcloud...

Started by nzCdog, July 14, 2017, 01:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Bandcamp has always been the better service, because Soundcloud's model is fundamentally flawed. (The main superficial feature difference, the ability to comment tracks, is honestly a bug to me.) Soundcloud survived on payments from the artists for more storage space, whereas bandcamp incidentally covers many of its costs by providing a store for the artist. 99% of the time people just want to listen to some music, but Soundcloud made it harder to capitalize if that 1% wanted to actually purchase the track. Artists lost a sale, Soundcloud lost an opportunity to take a cut, and the customer lost the opportunity to pay for (read: be more invested in) the song. The article even touches on this. Soundcloud drives sales at Bandcamp. The fact that soundcloud couldn't capture that market share was dropping a huge stinking ball on their part, and they failed to do that for, what, 6 years at least?

Here's one thing you can be sure of:
Any service that gets its support from the artist end rather than the customer end will inevitably collapse. Artists don't have money.

nzCdog

I've backed-up all my music.  Nothing commercial on there, just soundclips of pedals etc.  I suppose I only thought it was a free host for audio files. 

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/