News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

vero party: clari(not), fat fuzz factory, civil war big muff

Started by oip, July 18, 2017, 07:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oip

ok!  so over the last week-ish i made some vero pedals

was blown away by this wonderful build posted a little while ago so did what anyone would do, blatant copying with a substantial drop in quality.  also first time doing 'normal' etching as opposed to reverse and paint.  far from perfect but was nice to do.  used a rolling pin on the transfer and will definitely keep doing this.

clari(not) - goofy effect with a quite huge range of sounds.  took a couple tries and a bit of head scratching to get going, and is a slightly temperamental thing.  so much fun to play, i have been loving the (very) worn VHS vibe of travis picking with a bit of detuning and no doubt pissing off my neighbours by zoning out for ages doing so.  quite a useable fuzz on its own with the delay off.

fuzz factory - i've had the vexter version for a while, and A/Bing with the vero i was surprised to find it's about a 80-90% overlap which is pretty cool.  the vexter is less noisy and wild (!?), and the stab/voltage starve on the vero doesn't work perfectly, even at full voltage with the drive on full it shrieks (hence name).  have to back the drive off to 3o'clock to get it to stop.  i'm going to try and breadboard a circuit at some point to test more thoroughly.  most interesting part, i ordered a germanium matched pair and put them in there, then tried throwing in some 75c 2N3906 silicon transistors.  was expecting it to sound horrible but.. it sounds really, really similar on almost all settings.  certainly enough to be useable, so i'm going to try using the AC128s in something less crazy.

offboard wiring is still my nemesis but slowly improving.  learned a bunch doing these.  also first time putting a battery in (fuzz factory, not in the picture) i figure that's the one pedal where it lasts basically forever and cuts the noise from a power supply.

finally a civil war-ish big muff from last weekend.  socketed most everything to be able to experiment.  i still will tweak some values for a bit more bass and the diode stages are somewhat random (LED + silicon) but it sounds pretty freakin excellent to me.  the mid switch adds a lot.  was a very interesting exercise.

had meant to make all black enclosure with raised black lettering but the etch wasn't deep enough and i don't think it would have worked anyway.  i kinda like the not-properly-cleaned etchant look so left it as is.  extremely questionable calligraphy skills.

cheers!

matmosphere

Very nice!! They look great.

The clari(not) is pretty addictive.

Boba7

The symetrical clarinot and fuzz factory are awesome!! Love the knobs on them too. Love everything about them actually. Amazing work, and definitely as inspiring as the clarinot that inspired you (which was so great!!)
Congrats!!

oip

thanks so much!  it seemed like the obvious way to do it and tbh i was also happy to not have to design a second panel graphic

i love those aluminium knobs but damn they are a luxury item.. need to buy a big batch for cheap

QuoteThe clari(not) is pretty addictive.

such a cool effect, never even knew it existed until seeing it here.  reading around about some LFO mods and a fully clean buffered one too, might give them a try at some point

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

flanagan0718

jimilee

That sir, is a lot of knobs. Very cool looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

Love the knob placement!  ;) The mirrored layouts look great. I think the etches turned out nicely. Makes me want to build pedal combinations with themes. I could have pedal art diptychs or triptychs.

selfdestroyer

Awesome job. I'm a sucker for non standard pot placement. They look fantastic.

Cody

oip

thanks!

Quote from: Aleph Null on July 20, 2017, 08:32:54 AM
Love the knob placement!  ;)

ahaha :-[.  i just ordered transistors to try building a skreddy lunar module, also 5 knobs.  i don't actually know any other placement that will work with the shielded pots so i'm probably going to use the diagonal again.. maybe black this time though

pedal triptych!  artwork across multiples is a great idea

diablochris6

The aesthetic of these pedals is great. I really dig the line art and label combo on the first two.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

lincolnic

I see your FromSoft references, and I approve. Nice work!

oip

Andlord

Orphan of Kos!? Took me a whole evening to take that di**head down :)

Great builds, i'm not a big fan of too much colour on a pedal