News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blueshift

Started by Droogie, July 24, 2017, 03:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

Possibly the most austere looking pedal build in the history of the forum!
This thing sounds great, was very easy to dial in (amazing to think using a scope per the build doc results in better sound). Compared to vids of the Boss pedal and found it indistinguishable soundwise. This is going on the board, and am eager to do a shootout with the Choral Reef when that comes out!
It was not too difficult to put together, but as with any large, complicated project, thoroughly checking solder joints, correct parts, etc, before finishing goes a long way.
I also found that the diagram for the minimalist bypass has some errors—the description on the following page is correct however, so use that!
Also found it useful to plan out the order of wiring the jacks and switches.
Great project!

Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

dan.schumaker

Its almost a little disappointing knowing how many parts and how much work was involved to see just three switches on the outside :)

Looks great!

BrianS

Great job.  I'm in the middle of putting mine together.  Still waiting on a couple of parts but have most of it populated.  Gosh there's a lot of parts. 

nzCdog

Mysterious build!  I like the minimalist look :)

wgc

cool build. it's like a chevy s-10 with a corvette motor tucked under the hood.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

mrclean77

Nice build. IMO, using boards made to be that tight is kinda like the 5 Stages of Grief, but for builds

1 - Denial - This CAN'T fit, can it? Yeah, I know that other guy made it fit, but....
2 - Anger - I -KNEW- it wasn't gonna fit - RAWRRRRR
3 - Bargaining - Where's my Dremel...????
4 - Depression - F**k! I loaned it to the neighbor -OR- I broke the tip I need last time
5 - Acceptance - I can still find my hammer, me or this enclosure WILL relent before the afternoon is gone.

Quote from: wgc on July 24, 2017, 08:42:41 PM
Unsure on your location, but this is an Alabama-approved description  ;D 8)

EBK

My boards have shipped!  Not soon, but sometime in the future I will also have a trust-me-it's-complex-inside pedal of my own.  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

kgull

Great looking build, good luck keeping it clean though!

BTW whats the screw-head in the middle for?

Quote from: mrclean77 on July 26, 2017, 10:51:11 AM
Quote from: wgc on July 24, 2017, 08:42:41 PM
Unsure on your location, but this is an Alabama-approved description  ;D 8)
Nah, you gotta put it under the hood of a Ford instead. Really gets under a Ford guys skin :o

somnif

Quote from: kgull on July 28, 2017, 09:32:54 PM

It secures the PCB to the enclosure using a Hex standoff.

EBK

Quote from: somnif on July 28, 2017, 09:53:54 PM
Quote from: kgull on July 28, 2017, 09:32:54 PM

It secures the PCB to the enclosure using a Hex standoff.
I'll probably try to avoid that screw when I build this.  It seems odd to me.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

Its just to support the middle of the board so you aren't stressing the switch connections. You could probably accomplish something similar with a sticky tape plastic standoff on the inside. But, that choice is yours.

EBK

That makes sense.  Those switches are up high above the center of mass.  There absolutely has to be something holding the board other  than those switches.  I'll to evaluate it further once I see it in person. 

Droogie

The standoff seems necessary. It is supporting two boards that would otherwise strain the switch connections. I'll probably cover the screw head up eventually with ????
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

EBK

...with one of those copper faceplate labels some have done would be a cool idea. 

Bean did a cool one recently:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=25807.msg252489#msg252489

EBK

Question about the toggles:
I just noticed the part of the build doc that says to use toggles with at least 8.89mm bushings.  Assuming you use 8.89 or 8.90, is there any extra threading such that a faceplate could be placed between the nut and the enclosure?