News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tips on board-mounting jacks?

Started by Tuxedo3, July 27, 2017, 06:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys, I've designed many-a-PCB (in no way am I an expert) but I'm redesigning an older board of mine with board mounted jacks.
Are there any tips I should be aware of in this design process? I'll be using https://www.taydaelectronics.com/6-35mm-1-4-stereo-insulated-switched-socket-jack-pcb.html most likely. My major concern is making the board with the correct spacing so that the holes on the enclosure line up with the jacks after they've been mounted. Thanks guys!

davent

Measure, measure and measure again. Build a mock up with printouts of your design. Use big pads with lots of wiggle room.

I haven't board mounted jacks...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

kgull

Not worth the hassle IMO. One misplaced foot can equal a broken PCB (been there, done that).

If you insist, only solder a single leg on each jack so you have a bit more wiggle room the first time you put the pedal together. Once everything is lined up, solder the other legs after it is assembled. Other than that, Dave's advice is spot on.

jubal81

Quote from: kgull on July 27, 2017, 01:51:51 PM
Not worth the hassle IMO. One misplaced foot can equal a broken PCB (been there, done that).

If you insist, only solder a single leg on each jack so you have a bit more wiggle room the first time you put the pedal together. Once everything is lined up, solder the other legs after it is assembled. Other than that, Dave's advice is spot on.

+1

I think this design only makes sense for a big company building thousands of pedals.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Tuxedo3

Thanks for this info guys, seems like you saved me from a bunch of work and measuring that wouldn't have paid off. I appreciate it!