News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bizarre Pedal Issues

Started by Droogie, August 06, 2017, 10:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

All of a sudden, every pedal I own is popping like crazy and some have become microphonic (makes amplified noise when the enclosure is touched/tapped). Tried different power supplies, only one pedal connected at a time including pedals I haven't plugged in for months), different amp, different outlet. Totally stumped!

Anyone ever experience anything like this?
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

jimilee

Have you used your DMM to measure the current coming out of the wall? I discovered hum at times because of extreme power levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BrianS

I had the same thing with a couple of my pedals. Both were working fine and then went wonky.  But not to the extent you talking about. 

Oh Andrew, I received my package.  Thanks......

Droogie

I thought it could be something to do with power in the building.
Quote from: BrianS on August 06, 2017, 11:54:51 PM
I had the same thing with a couple of my pedals. Both were working fine and then went wonky.  But not to the extent you talking about. 

Oh Andrew, I received my package.  Thanks......

Glad it arrived!

AntKnee

I've had odd things like this happen due to a cheap or improperly insulated cable. If you've recently changed to a different cable, that could be it.
If that isn't it, I would suspect something related to the power supply. Have you recently moved or added any electric appliances to the electric circuit that your rig is on? Have you recently had electrical or plumbing work? (Some houses are grounded to the cold water pipes.)
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

gordo

So every pedal does this even solo?  I'd go cable route. I have a fairly expensive 20' that is crazy microphonic and took me ages to figure out.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

flanagan0718

I'm with Gordo on this. Cable is usually the problem. Also I had some crappy P100 pick ups go microphonic on me too.

Droogie

I tried to isolate every element, so I used different cables to eliminate that. I live in an apartment building and wouldn't have a clue as to mains power  issues. I'm going to give everything a couple of days and try again. Maybe it's the impending eclipse? 😎

somnif

Quote from: Droogie on August 07, 2017, 11:08:18 AM
I tried to isolate every element, so I used different cables to eliminate that. I live in an apartment building and wouldn't have a clue as to mains power  issues. I'm going to give everything a couple of days and try again. Maybe it's the impending eclipse? 😎

I'm an apartment dweller, and every so often my power lines will decide to hum like a hitachi. I think its related to our air conditioner units, but I've never been able to figure out the exact set of circumstances that causes the issue. I just know that sometimes I'll plug in my one spot, and no matter what pedal I stick it on, I'm going to be listening to my wonderful wiring singing.

gordo

Eclipse is a possibility.  You haven't changed religions recently have you?  :P
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Sometimes my power goes above 9v to 11 or 12v. I've been tempted to find a regulator for outside, but I live in a duplex and, well, I don't t like working with electricity. So, measure your one spot.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

I was an electrician and used to do this, so I know... If you live in an apartment, the chances of electrical interference go up greatly. In my apartment days, I've had speakers hum from neighbors appliances, TV reception messed by the microwave above me, and other oddities. Apartment buildings are built and wired quickly and cheaply. Electric wiring is insulated against injury, but not static and RF interference. The wiring is all bundled together across the building to the meters and the breakers are usually of so-so quality at best, so interference easily jumps to other circuits. I'd put money on it being electrical. Any combination of ways the power is being used across your building at the moment can change its effect on your gear.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Droogie

Quote from: gordo on August 07, 2017, 12:42:17 PM
Eclipse is a possibility.  You haven't changed religions recently have you?  :P
No, but my refrigerator has been telling me about getting into yoga.   :D

Quote from: AntKnee on August 07, 2017, 01:37:08 PM
I was an electrician and used to do this, so I know... If you live in an apartment, the chances of electrical interference go up greatly. In my apartment days, I've had speakers hum from neighbors appliances, TV reception messed by the microwave above me, and other oddities. Apartment buildings are built and wired quickly and cheaply. Electric wiring is insulated against injury, but not static and RF interference. The wiring is all bundled together across the building to the meters and the breakers are usually of so-so quality at best, so interference easily jumps to other circuits. I'd put money on it being electrical. Any combination of ways the power is being used across your building at the moment can change its effect on your gear.

This makes sense given the pervasive nature of the problem. Thanks!