News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Neutrino Versions

Started by Davefx, November 07, 2011, 03:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davefx

Hello all, I just built up the burst version of the Neutrino and I have to say I'm not 100% pleased with it. The gain is all I expect it to be but it really Tubescreamer outs with a big low end drop and doesn't have a lot of volume. And the glass control is exactly that, GLASS! Lol.. Can't seem to cut the highs to my liking. The distortion is certainly smooth however and I get a lot of nice harmonics typical of TS type circuits. Is the Black version better? Just need more oomph and output..

Thanks!

shawnee

From my understanding, the Eternity is just a tubescreamer without buffers. I agree with you though. My favorite clips of the Eternity are of the E6 version but I haven't found a solid list of changes for that particular model yet........

gtr2

Type Neutrino in the search box on the main forum page.  There is a lot of good info guys have shared with their builds.

Here is one particular thread

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1818.0

Best of luck!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Davefx

Thank you all for your help...  I used the LF353 chip.. Gonna try the Black version and other chips.... Ah the joy of experimentation :-)

Davefx

Well before I made any major changes,  I did what I should have done in the first place..  Install a fricking IC socket! LOL..   I took out the soldered in LF353, installed a socket and popped a 1458 in there, and WOW....  Either my chip was bad or the 353 sounds like ass in the Burst version!  LOVIN IT now.. I'm still using symmetrical clipping and I like it just fine.  I play through a Ceriatone DC30, which has plenty of highs, and probably the only thing I don't like about the pedal is the tone control.. Still goes from highs to a LOT of highs..  Any suggestions there would be appreciated..  I'm gonna destroy my traces if I keep changing parts!! :)

snz728

Destroyed my first one with too many changes. It was my first build and I learned a lot.  You should socket it or use a breadboard.  I recently got a new board an want to put it together soon.

mjcyates

QuoteWell before I made any major changes,  I did what I should have done in the first place..  Install a fricking IC socket! LOL..   I took out the soldered in LF353, installed a socket and popped a 1458 in there, and WOW....  Either my chip was bad or the 353 sounds like ass in the Burst version!  LOVIN IT now.. I'm still using symmetrical clipping and I like it just fine.  I play through a Ceriatone DC30, which has plenty of highs, and probably the only thing I don't like about the pedal is the tone control.. Still goes from highs to a LOT of highs..  Any suggestions there would be appreciated..  I'm gonna destroy my traces if I keep changing parts!!

I have the 1458 in mine and I am pretty close to being satisfied. I agree with the tone control issue, I have mine almost completely counterclockwise. What I think is still missing is something in the lower mids. The lows and highs are fine, just needs a little more beef in the middle.

Davefx

Agreed.  Just the ability to take off more of the sizzle and a hair more meat.  Was thinking about trying the black versions tone stack.  I'll let ya know how it goes.