Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blueshift DImension C build

Started by LaceSensor, August 07, 2017, 09:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

Quote from: flanagan0718 on August 08, 2017, 08:38:51 AM
Quote from: Willybomb on August 08, 2017, 07:46:52 AM
This is one of those builds where I look at it and go "You know what?  I'm just going to buy the Behringer clone..."

HAHA! i was debating it too!

Great Job. I love the original DC2 font too!

Its kinda funny, I look at it and think "Well, it doesnt have the electrolytic forest the Flintlock Flanger has...". Its a crowded layout, but well thought out. None of those "Ok, need to solder these components in the right order or my iron will toast half of them trying to wiggle in there" situations like you get on some boards.

Honestly its the precision drilling that worries me more. Same reason the VFE boards make me shudder a bit, my drill work sucks  ;D

EBK

Quote from: somnif on August 08, 2017, 09:13:55 AM
Honestly its the precision drilling that worries me more. Same reason the VFE boards make me shudder a bit, my drill work sucks  ;D
Get an automatic center hole punch.  I use this fairly cheap one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DXYOLC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_awdb_x_kdJIzb85772ZA

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

somnif

I actually use that exact punch. But my holes always seem to end up a mm or two off skew. My template will have ended up taped on crooked, my drill bit will have somehow drilled it off center, something always goes funny. I've not rendered a box unusable in quite some time, but I always think its going to happen again.

alanp

Lace, damn nice build there :) the layout style reminds me of some of my recent stuff.

Somnif, one common trick in Eurosynth DIY is to not solder any of the panelmounted parts (jacks, pots, switches), but to dry fit them in the PCB, fit the panel on, do up all the nuts and then solder it up.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on August 08, 2017, 06:38:10 PM
Lace, damn nice build there :) the layout style reminds me of some of my recent stuff.

Somnif, one common trick in Eurosynth DIY is to not solder any of the panelmounted parts (jacks, pots, switches), but to dry fit them in the PCB, fit the panel on, do up all the nuts and then solder it up.

I do that too, my problem is (at least when I started) I'd get the pots and switches in, only to discover everything was shifted over a mm or two and I couldn't actually fit the board in. Again, hasn't been an issue in some time, but I always think i'm going to.

LaceSensor

If y'all do buy the behringer clone, apparently it should be easy to swap out the 5v regulator they use for a 6v regulator and get some headroom back.
That, and tweaking the two trimmers, should get you close.

Total build cost on this for me was approx £120 inc PCB and parts, so you have to think about that too. Sure, I was lazy and used the spreadsheet and could have saved some on resistors and caps, but its so close fitting you really do need the perfect parts to get this to squeeze together.

LaceSensor

Quote from: somnif on August 08, 2017, 05:50:44 PM
I actually use that exact punch. But my holes always seem to end up a mm or two off skew. My template will have ended up taped on crooked, my drill bit will have somehow drilled it off center, something always goes funny. I've not rendered a box unusable in quite some time, but I always think its going to happen again.

The drill template with the Aion build doc is perfect. You can get away with 0.5mm over drill on the switches and standoff bolt, thats what I did to allow perfect fit. Everything else you can get away with 1mm perhaps.

Philthy

has anyone compiled a list of what parts are not included in the Mouser BOM?

EBK

Quote from: Philthy on August 09, 2017, 08:36:28 PM
has anyone compiled a list of what parts are not included in the Mouser BOM?
There's a second tab on the spreadsheet.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Philthy

EBK

[future build report tease] I'm considering a smaller enclosure for my build of this.  Doom or glory?
We shall see... [/future build report tease]

drolo

lego4040

One can never have enough chorus pedal's. That looks great and intense, and Im glad it sounds fantastic. I got the Choral reef on bench to be built first.

aion

Very nice! Thanks for posting this!

BTW - docs are finally updated with the correct wiring diagram.

bsoncini

Thanks for the detailed pics. I just built mine and your pictures helped a lot. No need to really post a build report because I can't beat yours.

I will say. It is complex but mine worked right away. Secondly at first I calibrated mine with my multimeter to 3.4 volts. Played with it a bit and used the oscilloscope.  The bottom tip of my waveform on one of the bbd's was chopped off. It sounded better after calibration with the scope (maybe just a placebo effect)