News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How to read a 2DPT on a schematic?

Started by Tuxedo3, August 11, 2017, 06:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys, I'm making a PCB version of the runoffgroove Tonemender and was wondering how exactly to wire up the 2PDT switch based on the schematic. I've only ever done SPDT so I'm a bit confused on which lugs correspond to what.

m-Kresol

in this case you don't really need a 2PDT rather a 2PST switch, but I don't even know if these exist in practice and it will be doable with a 2pdt anyways.
the left pin in your schematic corresponds to lug 2 (and 5, ie. the poles/centre lugs) on the switch. the right pins in the schematic are connected to either pin 1 and 4 or pins 3 and 6 of your switch provided the switches are meant to be open and closed at the same time, ie. when Sw1A is closed also Sw1B is closed and vice versa. leave the residual pins unconnected

just for the sake of completeness and understanding: you could also wire it the other way around, so left pins in the schematic to pin 1/4 ir 3/6 and the right side to 2/5. this is because you just use it as an ON/OFF switch to put the two caps in and out rather than switch between two caps which would need a ON/ON configuration.
hope that helps
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Tuxedo3

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 11, 2017, 06:55:20 AM
in this case you don't really need a 2PDT rather a 2PST switch, but I don't even know if these exist in practice and it will be doable with a 2pdt anyways.
the left pin in your schematic corresponds to lug 2 (and 5, ie. the poles/centre lugs) on the switch. the right pins in the schematic are connected to either pin 1 and 4 or pins 3 and 6 of your switch provided the switches are meant to be open and closed at the same time, ie. when Sw1A is closed also Sw1B is closed and vice versa. leave the residual pins unconnected

Yes that makes sense, thank you for the thorough explanation!