Main Menu

Mini ToneBender MkI

Started by pickdropper, August 22, 2017, 07:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Quote from: pickdropper on August 24, 2017, 02:30:05 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on August 24, 2017, 01:22:37 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 24, 2017, 12:56:04 PM
Out of curiosity... what does one of those go for?

Kan I Haz PCB two?  <('o'<)

-Mike-

I am actually going to post my semi-annual list of PCBs that I have for sale.  These will be included in that.

Yay!!! I just got paid too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pickdropper on August 24, 2017, 02:28:29 PM

I quoted $180, but ended up cutting it down to $170 as an apology for how long to finish it.

Dang.... I need to start building fuzz makers!  8)

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 24, 2017, 03:39:29 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on August 24, 2017, 02:28:29 PM

I quoted $180, but ended up cutting it down to $170 as an apology for how long to finish it.

Dang.... I need to start building fuzz makers!  8)

Well, it's fairly comparable to what most boutique builders charge, and quite a bit less than some do.  Most folks view that as basically the going rate and sometimes, even a bit better.  Generally, most folks understand that a custom build is not going to cost $100.

I'm actually considering giving up the custom builds entirely as they are very inefficient from a time perspective, which is something that is always in short supply for me.  I build slow and methodically and always spend more time than I plan on them. 

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pickdropper on August 24, 2017, 05:07:48 PM
Well, it's fairly comparable to what most boutique builders charge, and quite a bit less than some do.  Most folks view that as basically the going rate and sometimes, even a bit better.  Generally, most folks understand that a custom build is not going to cost $100.

I'm actually considering giving up the custom builds entirely as they are very inefficient from a time perspective, which is something that is always in short supply for me.  I build slow and methodically and always spend more time than I plan on them.

Don't get me wrong. I think the work is spectacular. I was thinking that is a pretty good haul for a fuzz. I have lost count of how many fuzz pedals I have built and it still amazes me how much they fetch and how little a more complex pedal (i.e. a delay or reverb) fetches when compared.

No wonder EVERYONE is starting their "businesses" with lines of fuzz, distortion, and OD pedals  ;D

Martan

I hear you. I am slow and inefficient and will only let myself or loved ones benefit from my slow and inefficient activities:)

Those builds are fantastic, by the way.
Marty

Bret608

I agree with what Greg said...among the few pedals I have sold, fuzz (especially germanium) has always fetched more money than other things.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 24, 2017, 06:50:17 PM

Don't get me wrong. I think the work is spectacular. I was thinking that is a pretty good haul for a fuzz. I have lost count of how many fuzz pedals I have built and it still amazes me how much they fetch and how little a more complex pedal (i.e. a delay or reverb) fetches when compared.

No wonder EVERYONE is starting their "businesses" with lines of fuzz, distortion, and OD pedals  ;D

In some ways I prefer building higher parts count builds with modern, consistent components.  They are just a lot less tweaky and I generally spend less time fiddling with them.  My response may have read as defensive, but I don't actually feel that way at all.  I actually feel the pricing compares well with what's out there when factoring overall quality in.  Obviously, I can't compete with the cheap Chinese mini pedals in price and don't try to.  There are so many options on the market these days, that folks can choose whatever solution works best for them; it's all good. 

The reason a lot of boutique companies start with with dirt pedals is because those are the biggest sellers.  Sure, fuzz pedals can be simpler, but I'm not sure that's the primary motivator.  I think Fuzz as a category has gotten so large because players have more of a tendency to collect different types.  I built one for somebody a couple months back that has over 150 fuzz pedals.  That's mind blowing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper