News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what is the best investment you guys have made?

Started by cjkbug, September 03, 2011, 05:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

what investment in our hobby has really paid off for you guys.

mine would be a samsung 310 series laser printer. it makes awesome transfer artwork for etching, and flawless waterslide decals that don't need clearcoat prior to apllication. got it at office max on clearance for $59!!!

a peak atlas semiconductor analyzer. for finding out gains and pinouts of transistors. specs on diodes etc. really has saved my but on a few debugs. openhaus I'm looking at you.

and my panavise swiveling pcb holder. I've driven my soldering iron into my right thigh while wearing shorts for the last time. I really wish iwas joking about that one.

I'd love to hear what some of you guys have come up with.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

De-soldering station, hands down. Makes my life a lot easier!

jkokura

Great question CJ... I want more details on that de-soldering station Bean.

I think mine is my soldering iron. It's not very expensive, nor is it very powerful, but I'm very happy with it. Weller WP25.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

gtr2

So far my Hakko 936.  Love that thing..well as much as you can love a soldering iron  ;)

I'd love to get one of those atlas dca55's one day.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

Great topic. I have to agree about the soldering iron but since I want to add something to the topic I have to say that little thing(sorry can't remember the name) that straights the Ic legs, I use it every time I build a board.
Pcbs no longer available

cjkbug

Quote from: jimmybjj on September 03, 2011, 06:35:37 PM
Great topic. I have to agree about the soldering iron but since I want to add something to the topic I have to say that little thing(sorry can't remember the name) that straights the Ic legs, I use it every time I build a board.
I gotta get one of those.

irmcdermott

Hmm... I think for me it's been my Xytronic 379 soldering station (couldn't even finish my first build with a cheap RadioShack iron). After that it would probably be everything I've bought to etch boards (band saw, drill press, laminator). And of cource, reverse action tweezers for those IC sockets.

Ian

jighead81

Fluke Multimeter, since I'm building amps too.  I must check everything at least 3 times before firing it up and this thing makes it a breeze.

jkokura

Quote from: jighead81 on September 04, 2011, 05:39:53 AM
Fluke Multimeter, since I'm building amps too.  I must check everything at least 3 times before firing it up and this thing makes it a breeze.

I bet. I wish I could splurge on something like that. My multimeter sucks...

Can I borrow yours when I build an amp?

Jacob

(kidding... unless you're okay with that...)
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

I would give a vote for my Xytronics 379 too, but I have another tool that deserves recognition, my BK Precision 875B LCR meter.  I have other nice tools, like a Tektronix Bench DMM and Function Generator and Oscilloscope, but that LCR meter is always in use (constant companion to my DMM). 
    I use a lot of pulled caps and other components I have been harvesting from a 70's Lowerey organ, something I wouldn't feel as comfortable doing if I couldn't verify the value of every cap pulled.  It is nice to verify that modern caps coming from the east are truly the values printed on them as well. 
    I mod and repair wahs on a routine basis (my bread and butter), and it is really useful to be able to make a note of the inductor and cap values.  I have been able to generate a set of specs for what I consider to be a nice sounding wah, as well as what values work better for metal vs. funk etc.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

bigmufffuzzwizz

Yes the panavise swirvel PCB holder has helped me sooo much! I recently bought a lb of kester solder in a small diameter and I absolutely love it. Wets super quick making it easy as cake most of the time. I've been gassing for those atlas semiconductor checker for awhile now.
I'm gonna have to ask you how you get such great decals from your samsung Cjkbug, I believe I have the same model.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

I just do em up in photoshop, and print at the highest quality on the glossy photopaper setting. Make sure you turn the printer on just before you print. If you run the printer too long the roller will get too hot and the decal paper will stick to the roller destroying the printer. guess how I found that out?

TRADAmpGuy

Good stuff here 8) Really like my Weller WES51 Soldering Station. After using a "good" (cough) Shack iron, this was a dream to use. Nice, small and lightweight pencil and the thing heats from dead cold to ready too use in 30 seconds. Haven't had the need too get a Fluke but they seem to be real nice. I'm prolly going to get a decent used analog meter first and keep my Shack meter a while longer.

Jack Deville

Without being too much of a smart-ass, the best investment I've made was a dead/broken $5 laptop.
I spent countless hours studying the PCBs and assembly/engineering procedures that went into making that thing.  Best $5 I've spent outside a good happy hour.
8)
Logic.  And Cats.  And logical cats.