News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rustbucket

Started by Martan, August 25, 2017, 07:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martan

Hey all,

Finally finished my Rustbucket build! This thing is very fun once dialed in. Lots of components but fired right up. Thought I'd take Bean's naming seriously and make a bucket of rust:)

So, for the finish the sides are just spray painted with a Krylon Cinnabar "stone" spray paint. The top was a bit more fun. I took some used FeCl3 etchant (don't know if the "used" part matters), taped up the unpolished enclosure sides with painters tape and put the enclosure face-down in the etchant. After the first five minutes, I left the pedal there for 1-2 hours (+/- 5 minutes ;)). This gave a nice corroded look to the top. I also had some corroded copper wire that I flogged the top with to add some hints of green. The water slide decal wouldn't stick to the rust, so I sandwiched it between two layers of envirotex. Happy with the results but it took a week just for the envirotex/labels. The good part is those labels are not a full sheet but the envirotex hid the edges. The knobs are from the thread started with Leevibe's amazing Pennyroyal chorus (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=20699.0). Got them off ebay.

Thanks,

Marty

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

jimilee

That's very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

First class finish! Also like the choice of knobs and green LED.

pickdropper

Wow, that looks nasty.  Wonderfully nasty.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts

Tuxedo3

Wicked. Love the creativity of the box.

m-Kresol

awesome idea with the finish and superb execution.
The envirotex is a bit too shiny for the look in my opinion. sanding it lightly could give it a dull, used look, but would probably hide the rusty top...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Martan

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 25, 2017, 10:51:49 AM
awesome idea with the finish and superb execution.
The envirotex is a bit too shiny for the look in my opinion. sanding it lightly could give it a dull, used look, but would probably hide the rusty top...

I'm with you on that one, but the shine really did make the colors more distinct.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

alanp

... you made aluminium go rusty. Geez.

Nice job, though.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Martan

Quote from: alanp on August 25, 2017, 01:25:21 PM
... you made aluminium go rusty. Geez.

I dabble a bit in alchemy on the side🙂. A guys gotta have hobbies👍🏻

mrclean77

Quote from: alanp on August 25, 2017, 01:25:21 PM
... you made aluminium go rusty.

That was the first thing I noticed as well, ha!

Cool build, while the Etex may be shiny for the effect, the shot of the label in between etex layers is very cool.

287m

now you can enter custom 1:64 diecast work, hot rod!
hahaha

oip

awesome!  all the separate finish ideas work together so well. 

looks beefy as hell too, like it could be thrown through a window unharmed in an emergency situation

Boba7