News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

real or fake?

Started by aballen, August 29, 2017, 01:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I'm building a blueshift chorus(roland dimensiion D clone) and I got some hard to find chips on ebay.  I bought them from polida, who has come through for me in the past.  lots of mn3008 and mn3005s from him.  only ever got one dud.

These look a little suspect to me, but I don't know these chips as well.  My first concern is the silkscreen it the same on every chip.  Pretty amazing for reclaimed chips.  I may have to find out the hard way, by testing, but if anyone has any feedback.  I'm interested to hear... NE570N, MN3102, and MN3207 chips are the ones that worry me.  pics attached

Edited, does this link work?
https://goo.gl/photos/SJ4GKnFiE3WD5fG66

Zigcat

Can't see pics. Regardless, you only know once you try them. But since coolaudio reproduces all of these chips, I would never recommend taking a risk on ebay when you can get them through reputable suppliers so easily. V3207 V3102 and V571.

aballen

I thought the coolaudio ones were not so great

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zigcat

Not as great as fake ones? I heard the 3205 reproductions were not as good, but I really don't think most people can tell a difference.

bsoncini

Maybe it's just me. But I can't see the pics just a Photobucket logo. I've never bought a bad chip on eBay. But I've also never bought a bbd chip there either. I always figured it was worth spending a bit more money from a reliable source and not waste a bunch of time troubleshooting. Especially that pedal which is not very easy to access.

aballen

Yeah, I've had good luck with this guy on mn3005 and mn3008 in the past so I figured I would take another shot.  I think those are way more rare.  I guess I'll find out the hard way.

aballen

Do you guys know of any good sources for these chips, they seem out of stock everywhere.

tcpoint

I've had mixed results from Polida.  Some were good, some weren't.  Difficult to return to that guy, though.  I quit getting stuff from Polida after my last order.  How many chips do you need?

BrianS

Quote from: aballen on August 29, 2017, 02:57:49 PM
Do you guys know of any good sources for these chips, they seem out of stock everywhere.

Got mine from here.
http://cabintechglobal.com
Good prices and shipping is like $3. 
They work also.

gordo

I can't tell from the PB boxes, are you looking for 2008's?  I've always had good luck with Smallbear and although I haven't tested mine I have no doubt they'll be good.  They're expensive but Steve would be one of the last guys in the market that I'd expect to get stiffed by.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

somnif

I'm a little worried about smallbear at the moment (I know hes still on vacation). I ordered a 3008 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived, nor as the tracking updated. And again, vacation, so no email communication.

blergh.

aballen

Small bear is reliable.  Sometimes their shipping is slow, but I have never had a problem with them.

madbean

Quote from: somnif on August 29, 2017, 04:56:37 PM
I'm a little worried about smallbear at the moment (I know hes still on vacation). I ordered a 3008 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived, nor as the tracking updated. And again, vacation, so no email communication.

blergh.

Yeah they got a couple pot values wrong on my order from a week or so ago....sent an email, no response.

aballen

hrm, so NE570s, 3102s and 3207s are unobtainium now too?

all the crap I have extra stock of, never seems to be what I need :(

somnif

I believe the 570 is still in production as surface mount