News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dimension C and a pair of Drolos

Started by Martan, August 29, 2017, 06:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martan

I'm in one of those months where a bunch of long-standing projects finally come together :).
The push started with Aion's Dimension C.

Screwed up the laser etch by having an extra outline on some of the words that I didn't notice until too late. Also don't have a reliable alignment method, so its a bit to the right:). I did the minimum bypass route.
Couple of tips:
Do all the grounds first (like LaceSensor mentioned in his post). Leave the wires long enough to tilt the board up sideways out of the enclosure (you will probably need it).
If it doesn't work at first, flip it out of the enclosure and make sure all the connections between boards are making contact. This fixed mine.
Use a scope. I biased by ear and liked the effect a lot. Couple of really great modes. Then had a friend with a waveform generator and oscilloscope let me bias it. My waveform was HORRIBLY off from symmetrical. Got it biased up and the effect went from good to sublime.

Drolo's Twin Peaks Tremolo and Liquid Mercury phaser:

Had some envirotex goofs on the Twin Peaks LEDs and botched the water slide on the Mercury. Willing to let it go to have these AWESOME sounding pedals available. Also decided after the labels to have the tap tempos together, so the labelling on the Mercury is wrong. Still love em.

Marty

Luke51411

BrianS

jimilee

Beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

NFX

Where is everyone getting that dimension c water slide from?
Newbury Effects

EBK

Quote from: NFX on August 29, 2017, 08:27:04 AM
Kevin shared his artwork file:
https://aionelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/dc2_artwork_ppp.pdf

Marty's is a laser etch, not a decal, though.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Martan

Quote from: EBK on August 29, 2017, 08:31:17 AM
Quote from: NFX on August 29, 2017, 08:27:04 AM
Kevin shared his artwork file:
https://aionelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/dc2_artwork_ppp.pdf

Marty's is a laser etch, not a decal, though.

Yeah, I cut mine out of Kevin's PedalPartsPlus artwork. Here are illustrator and pdf files for it (hope that's oK):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjhmfwu8x6t5a5s/blueshift%20laser.ai?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ettw3um76tkghs3/blueshift%20laser.pdf?dl=0

DEFINITELY CHECK THE SCALE BEFORE USING!

bsoncini

Nice builds

I had the same results with my dimension C  Biased with my multimeter then checked it with the scope a few days later. Bottom half of the waveform was chopped off.

With my liquid mercury build I put the bias trimmer on the outside. Not much room but put it between the two stomp switches. A huge range of sounds with that.

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

NFX

thanks for the link but I already went ahead and made my own artwork now... ::)
(similar to the Aion 1 but fonts are slightly different) anyway, i will post my build next week.
Newbury Effects

Martan

Quote from: bsoncini on August 29, 2017, 09:34:43 AM

I had the same results with my dimension C  Biased with my multimeter then checked it with the scope a few days later. Bottom half of the waveform was chopped off.

Same as mine. Both chips were nearly missing the bottom part of the wave. Hardly any distortion, and it was chorus-y but once you bias it properly you can notice a big difference

bsoncini

Quote from: Martan on August 29, 2017, 10:43:27 AM
Quote from: bsoncini on August 29, 2017, 09:34:43 AM

agreed.  sounds real good unbiased. Sounds really great correctly biased

Same as mine. Both chips were nearly missing the bottom part of the wave. Hardly any distortion, and it was chorus-y but once you bias it properly you can notice a big difference

agreed.  sounds real good unbiased. Sounds really great correctly biased

Andlord

I'm so jealous :)
Great builds...all of em are on my "have-to-build" list

LaceSensor

great builds

Im very curious about the oscilloscope on the DC-2 now

I will have to go on ebay

Philthy