News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

MIM 1960's RI Telecaster thoughts.

Started by lego4040, September 06, 2017, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lego4040

Has anyone tried, owned or have experience with the Mexican 1960's RI Tele? I'm putting together a parts Telecaster and was thinking of using a loaded pickguard plus electronics from a MIM. This is what I'm working on, unshaded first then the two with the picguards with sanded and polished. Not sure if I want to go 3 ply tortoise shell or minty collared white. Those two are from strats

selfdestroyer

I'm a  sucker for the weird.. I would go tort.

Zigcat

As always, do what you like and think looks cool. I think it looks horrible, though. :D

peAk

matmosphere

I'd go with tort as well. If you use MIM stuff I'd recommend switching the pots for nicer ones, the MIM ones are junk and if it's all already apart it's worth replacing them. I'd also stay away from a MIM bridge. It looks like yours is drilled for a standard 4 screw bridge so you have lots of options. I've used Wilkenson and Callahan in the past. I honestly like the wilkerson much better and it cost over a $100 less than the callahan.

lego4040

So this is what I was kind of looking for down below. Both are Nash T63's. If I'm going to piece by piece the parts I have located a nice fender/ wilkinson compensated brass saddle, I can just by a premade control with good pots/ switch and snake oil cap. Pickups????! I have a set of dimarzios's for it, bridge is a Very old Dimarzio(20+) Twang I believe and it's overwound to 15k ohms, the neck is a mystery pup at 8. K ohms. Now my friend who gave me these pups said the neck was a Brian May tele pup but I can't find shit about on the net. I have paper work from Dimarzio on it but I'm not sure, I'll post a pic as well, and it's a hair to big for slot on pickguard(needs to be opened up a bit) the control panel is 3 way witchcraft, (2)500k ohm CTS, series parallel or phase reversal, can't remember which way I wired it and a Vitamin Q .022. I can't remember why I used that setup by it was something I was reading and I might have the paperwork somewhere

lego4040

Fender bridge with compensated brass saddles, tortoise shell pick guard, jack socket and GFS 63' vintage pups ordered.

lego4040

Its getting there, of coarse today I ordered string ferrules and then found the set I had, Ill save the ones coming for next project. Ill have to look for the wiring I did, Its either series/parallel or in/out phase..

somnif

My modern MIM tele has a 50nF ceramic on the tone pot (ridiculous, nickle sized ceramic disk too). Will halving the value on it help actually keep something resembling tone with the pot turned down?

gordo

3-way witchcraft.  Cool typo...would make a great band name.

I like the red tortoise better than the strat guard.  That's going to be a nice guitar.  I'm a big fan of GFS pickups, I have them in a bunch of guitars.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

Damn, what happened to that nice finish? Looks like it got dragged behind a car for a couple blocks.  ;D ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lego4040

QuoteDamn, what happened to that nice finish? Looks like it got dragged behind a car for a couple blocks.  ;D ;)
yeah, I loved the color when  I finished but things went sideways  ::)
There were a lot of imperfections on that body you couldn't see in pictures. Somnif, I think your referring to the treble bleed and yes that does help alot when your turned all the way down, I haven't installed one yet. I wound up using two 500K pots as well and the .022uf P.O.I. cap. I have a 60's Franken Strat that I want to Relacquer, Nash has a beautiful Grape color Id like to copy and I'd also throw the 63 GFS's as well

culturejam

Quote from: lego4040 on September 19, 2017, 01:45:40 PM
yeah, I loved the color when  I finished but things went sideways  ::) There were a lot of imperfections on that body you couldn't see in pictures.

I hear ya. I'd do the same, honestly.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects