News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reverse Engineered Centaur

Started by pickdropper, September 08, 2017, 04:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on September 10, 2017, 11:35:04 AM
They SAY they want one. My inner cynic would argue, until they forked over cash.

That's always a risk.  I always ask for a firm commitment, a real name and email before I start.  I don't accept deposits.  So far, I've not had a single person flake out on me.  It'll happen at some point, but I'd rather risk that than risk messing up my reputation.  I have too many things going on, so I'm not all that fast.  People are significantly more patient when you aren't holding their money.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

devilsnight

Love it! You should have covered the board in epoxy before posting your pics though, someone is going to copy it! :)

pickdropper

Quote from: devilsnight on September 12, 2017, 10:00:17 PM
Love it! You should have covered the board in epoxy before posting your pics though, someone is going to copy it! :)

A reverse engineered reverse engineered Centaur?  That could be interesting, biologically speaking.
Function f(x)

EBK

Quote from: pickdropper on September 13, 2017, 04:05:22 AM

A reverse engineered reverse engineered Centaur?  That could be interesting, biologically speaking.

Yikes!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on September 13, 2017, 04:32:55 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 13, 2017, 04:05:22 AM

Yikes!

Haha, yikes indeed.

What show is that from again?  I think I watched that with my daughter.
Function f(x)

EBK

Quote from: pickdropper on September 13, 2017, 04:55:00 AM
Gravity Falls, I think.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

LaceSensor

Cool build and graphic.
Whats the deal with "Winch" I dont do TGP much or often

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on September 13, 2017, 05:07:15 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 13, 2017, 04:55:00 AM
Gravity Falls, I think.

Yep, that's it.  One of the funnier kids shows in recent years, actually.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: LaceSensor on September 13, 2017, 05:17:29 AM
Cool build and graphic.
Whats the deal with "Winch" I dont do TGP much or often

Outlaw (the user that inspired this) made numerous references to the importance of winches in multiple threads and it became a running joke associated with him.  Just a bit of silly and fun nonsense.
Function f(x)

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

m-Kresol

Quote from: juansolo on September 13, 2017, 05:49:25 AM
Awesome, if slightly disturbing!

True. That should be right up your alley, John. Usually I think that of your builds ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

So, I ended up doing a small run of these.  I've been posting progress pics at TGP, but I figured I'd share them here.  There's a bunch, so I'll do it in multiple posts.

My initial build used a really old layout that I did.  It needed to be updated, so that's what I did.  I also added a switch board to clean up the wiring a bit.

This enclosure is etched, but the contrast with the trans gold is absolutely terrible.  You can see it from some angles, but it totally disappears from other angles.

Initial test fit was a bit tight, so I had to tweak the drill layout.  Easy fix, at least.

Function f(x)

pickdropper

Next, drilling the box with the tiny hole saws.  I haven't used my step bit since buying them, and I have a pretty nice Klein step bit.

Time to backfill the etch with ink.  I do this under a microscope with a syringe and an extra fine 30 gauge tip.  Here is what it looks like partially inked.

Here it is fully inked.  Much better looking

Function f(x)

EBK

You were so close to making the board centaur-shaped.

pickdropper

Time to start building the boards.  Here they are partially built and displayed on a sturdy piece of anti-static foam.

Here's the first verification build.  Fits just fine.

And they are multiplying:

Function f(x)