News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CJOD

Started by pickdropper, September 15, 2017, 08:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I've built a number of Tube Screamers over the years with various mods, but I can't remember if I ever made the exact Clay Jones overdrive version, so I decided to give it a go.  Contrary to my normal modus operandi, I went with almost zero extra features.  My only indulgence was an internal header to change the clipping from LED to Si diodes should I choose.  It's actually a great sounding Tube Screamer variant.  I see why people dig it.

This is another Tayda enclosure.  It's not perfect but it's significantly better than the black ones.  For whatever reason, their black and white enclosures are really rough and the other colors have been decent, if not spectacular.

I need to clean up the backfill a bit on the etch at some point.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Ralfg

That looks awesome! You make me want to get a laser machine to do some etching. These your own PCBs? Where are you getting them made? The layout is really nice and the build is super clean. #pedalgoals  ;D
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

wgc

Cool layout, the jumper idea is a great one, and well placed by the diodes too.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

storyboardist

So clean! How is the board mounted? The pots or taped to the box jacks?
Guy behind Effects Layouts

Andlord

Do you also build other formats than 1590A? Those are superb, how the hell to you squeeze them in there???

pickdropper

Quote from: Ralfg on September 15, 2017, 09:09:18 AM
That looks awesome! You make me want to get a laser machine to do some etching. These your own PCBs? Where are you getting them made? The layout is really nice and the build is super clean. #pedalgoals  ;D

Thanks man.  Yeah, the PCB was my own layout.  I ordered this particular board from Elecrow.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: storyboardist on September 15, 2017, 11:51:19 AM
So clean! How is the board mounted? The pots or taped to the box jacks?

I always use full size enclosed jacks and mount the boards with industrial grade 3M VHB tape.  There's really nowhere for the board to go, so it doesn't have to be mounted at all, but I like things to be fixed in place and neat, so I always do it that way.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: Andlord on September 15, 2017, 12:53:38 PM
Do you also build other formats than 1590A? Those are superb, how the hell to you squeeze them in there???

The majority of my building these days is in larger boxes, but I always enjoy the fun of 1590a builds.  When I build for myself, that's what I mostly do, but it varies.
Function f(x)

Coda-effects

Super clean build as always!
Love the telefunken logo :)

culturejam

Is that acrylic in the etch fill?

Also, I love the header switch idea. I've done that on a few boards, but never the 90-degree setup that one has. Very cool.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on September 17, 2017, 07:18:12 PM
Is that acrylic in the etch fill?

Also, I love the header switch idea. I've done that on a few boards, but never the 90-degree setup that one has. Very cool.

Yep, that's acrylic in the etch fill.  I didn't end up wiping this one off with alcohol, though.  I applied the fill with a syringe under a microscope, so I got it very close to correct without wiping.  There are a couple of areas I need to touch up, though.
Function f(x)