News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

build tips? mudbunny/3 knob comp/fatpants in a BB?

Started by thesameage, October 02, 2017, 05:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Been working at a guitar shop and have been on more of an instrument/build kick lately. I'm getting the itch, though, and have a half built 3 knob comp (that afterlife with a blend, half built fatpants, and an old mudbunny board that is built up.

It's for bass... any ideas off the bat? THink I can fit it all in a BB box? I'm not thinking of using footswitches for all... maybe just the muff and boost? 

jimilee

I think you can do it. If you're only using 2 stomps, I think you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

Just listened to my completed mudbunny boards last night and I just don't know. I think I need a creamier, warmer, thicker fuzz.

I have an ultrastoner and a saber tooth I'm going to put in the tester tonight. Just going through all of my old stuff.

I love the electra circuit so maybe I'll go there.

jimilee

To What specs did you build it? My favs are P19 and green Russian. Both are thick sounding

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

brianq41369

I would change input & output capacitors if its for a bass 2.2uF/ 4.7uF maybe even 10uF? Those 470pF capacitors on Q1-3 set clipping frequency, so I'd go 560pF or 680pF for more bass crunch. Also I would go higher on those 10k collector resistors 12k-15k-18k? for more saturation, on Q2&3 possibly Q1 also? have you tried led's in place of diodes? it gets thicker more saturated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thesameage

Quote from: brianq41369 on October 08, 2017, 09:30:01 PM
I would change input & output capacitors if its for a bass 2.2uF/ 4.7uF maybe even 10uF? Those 470pF capacitors on Q1-3 set clipping frequency, so I'd go 560pF or 680pF for more bass crunch. Also I would go higher on those 10k collector resistors 12k-15k-18k? for more saturation, on Q2&3 possibly Q1 also? have you tried led's in place of diodes? it gets thicker more saturated.

Have you tried these value subs before?  All sound interesting. I am going to try led's for sure. Silicon and germ aren't doing it for me. 

thesameage

Quote from: jimilee on October 03, 2017, 05:19:41 PM
To What specs did you build it? My favs are P19 and green Russian. Both are thick sounding

It's a violet but I'm thinking about building up a new civil war board. Seems very close to the green though.

brianq41369

Yes, I modified a black russian version 8 for a bassist years back, kit Rae site has a breakdown of what key components affect what. A good place to start. The russian muffs have a bigger emitter resistor 390 ohm thus making them lower gain- I like 100-120 ohm for Q1-3 like the higher gain american muffs. Big muff is the pedal with the most mods, I love pushing those russian muffs into beast mode!

thesameage

Thanks. It's been a while since I have messed around with muff values.

I like a muff is more overdrivey and defined with the ability to make it fuzzyish.  I'm not into the fizzy, intense wall of sound, or super gainey versions. Any thoughts on values for that?

brianq41369

Yea, check out the "GeneralGuitarGadjets" tuned version of big muff, it's exactly what you described, more overdriven than fuzzy, also check out Colorsound bass fuzz while you're there, it's also a muff variant with diodes taken out on Q2 & capacitor subs

thesameage

I had a tuned muff a while ago and didn't like it....but also was not sure what I was looking for. Probably time to check it out again.

brianq41369

Have you ever checked out Kit Rae muff site? I could spend hours there!

thesameage

It's been a while but I have spent a lot of time there. Honestly was trying to avoid a deep dive but maybe that's not possible. 😃