News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIN Connector with loopers

Started by madbean, October 04, 2017, 07:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I keep coming back to this idea every few months and I have yet to try it. But, it seems like a perfectly fine application for DIY: using a DIN connector for power and I/O on pedals with a looper specifically design for that purpose. So, using one cable in place of three to connect/power pedals in series. Or, maybe there are split connectors where you could connect pedals without the need for a looper.

Couple caveats:
- Don't know what type of capacitance DIN cables have (although if they are only one foot long it may not matter much). Maybe a switchable buffer in the looper would be a good idea.

- Power distribution: that's the harder thing. I can think of three options (when using a looper based solution) 1) work out a transformer based distributed supply with completely isolated outputs, 2) use an 18v walwart with individual 9v regulators or 3) use a One Spot and hope for the best. I kinda lean toward option 2 because it's easy enough and probably the next best thing to #1. You could filter the hell out of an 18v supply for the quietest possible operation.

What do you guys think? Anyone ever tried alternate I/O methods with your DIY builds?

wgc

I have had this idea on the back burner for what seems like ages.  But not with DIN connectors- I used molex mini fit jrs.  And hammond LB boxes.  Sort of along the lines of your G series pcbs.  Another connector option might be cat5... but I felt the molex were more robust.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17597.msg168496#msg168496  I'll update the images sometime soon if there's interest.

Designed and built several in an intended series but ran short on time to complete the set when I moved a while back.  Hope to pick it up again sometime soon.

My goal was to combine with a looper/buffer with 1/4" in/out and be able to swap out different circuits.  I minimized knobs to one or two since I generally don't really do much adjusting once I find the settings I like.  Limits the type of circuits a bit, but I felt this approach would be really useful for the odd gig or jam session.

At any rate, I have since seen one or two "modular" type boards/systems out there.  I totally understand why people would hesitate to switch to something that wasn't 1/4" jacks.  But in the short term between completely wireless setups that we'll all be trying to troubleshoot build someday, it is a very interesting problem with various possiblities.

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

bsoncini

I used to do installations for Bang and Olufsen and they love Din cables. The cable had power 5v but just to wake up a active speaker and the left/right cable were balanced and well  shielded.  If we used cable that wasn't  well sheilded there was tons of noise  A complete pain to solder when they had 8 pins instead of 5.

Don't know if that helps you at all.

raulduke

I've already done this (built a very rough prototype a few years ago).

The looper/switcher was built into a 1590dd and the FX modules into 1590A's.

Both DIN connectors were directly mounted to the enclosures (no cables).

It worked fine but I only built a few modules (booster and a fuzz). Family and work have got in the way of other modules unfortunately!

Seemed like quite a nice way to have a miniature modular pedal board without all the cables and hassle.

I think it would be something very interesting for you to develop as you already have a full range of 1590A projects ready to integrate into a modular type system  8)

My final plan was to have the bypass switches all relay based. I could then have a foot pedal for effect bypass, and a 'control' box mounted on my amp to plugin the different fx modules (keeps audio cable lengths short then as well).

madbean

That's awesome! Were you able to get the actual connector in a 1590A without much hassle? I guess if you forgo a bypass switch in the fx box it wouldn't be a problem.

raulduke

Yeah they fit fine on the modules I built. Just needed the right drill bit, and then file away the locating pin/nub on the connector. Much easier than the other 1590A builds I have done (which I found very fiddly).

I fitted the switcher with the female connectors,  and the modules with the male type.

Longer PCB's in the 1590A might not be able to have board mounted pots, but this is par for the course with 1590A builds I believe.

There was also a bit of a gap between the 1590A 'modules' and the switcher enclosure, so I was going to put a bit of foam strip (or similar) to keep the modules from moving around (although once connected there wasn't much play tbh).

I used these connectors:
https://www.rapidonline.com/lumberg-0304-05-5-pin-din-female-chassis-socket-iec-60130-9-front-panel-mount-54-5493
https://www.rapidonline.com/lumberg-0314-05-5-pin-male-din-plug-iec-60130-9-front-panel-mount-54-5256

Caveat: suitable DIN connectors that I could find were not cheap!

The convenience of having a little modular pedal board (with easy swap out of modules) makes up for that though IMO  8)

madbean

This is getting kind of exciting. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking a little relay-based looper using these might be a very fun project indeed.

raulduke

Here's the sketch I did for the 1590DD with dimensions (with some of my notes and scribblings).

Figured 4 1590A modules was the most I could fit.

You have to be pretty nimble toed to work around 4 foot-switches so close together ;). For home use it's fine.

Taking the foot-switches to an external box (with relay bypass), perhaps linked with another DIN connector (6/7/8 way) opens up more space for other fun stuff (perhaps a buffer + eq on the input, DI on the output etc.) on the main module connector board!

Thinking about it further that would be really cool... I'm getting excited about this again!  8)

peAk

Quote from: raulduke on October 05, 2017, 07:14:55 AM
Here's the sketch I did for the 1590DD with dimensions (with some of my notes and scribblings).

You have to be pretty nimble toed to work around 4 foot-switches so close together ;). For home use it's fine.

Taking the foot-switches to an external box (with relay bypass), perhaps linked with another DIN connector (6/7/8 way) opens up more space for other fun stuff (perhaps a buffer + eq on the input, DI on the output etc.) on the main module connector board!

Thinking about it further that would be really cool... I'm getting excited about this again!  8)

very cool indeed.

m-Kresol

I think the idea to have the effect boxes directly attach to the switch box is really out of the box thinking. pun intended.

I was thinking more of having like a kind of effects rack next to the amp, where you have your effects in, which connect to one big bypass switching system. each effect has it's own cable running from the bypass to the rack. this way you could also manage more than one power supply (imagine internal jumpers to put PSU 1 to effects 1, 5 and 8 and PSU to effects 2, 3,... then exchanging pedals and there order would just be about changing one or two cable max. I really like this idea...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Quote from: raulduke on October 05, 2017, 07:14:55 AM

This is brilliant. Love the idea!

matmosphere

Okay, I totally dig this idea. Not sure if it's practical but it would be very fun to build.

It's probably also a pretty marketable idea as well.

matmosphere

Also we could all make bandolier's full of effects!!