News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring diagram for older pedal switches w/ box jacks?

Started by thesameage, October 01, 2017, 09:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Hi,

I'm fixing an old DOD 250. It's got one of those older switches with two prongs on one side and a single prong off of the other.  Can anyone tell me what this kind of switch is called and where I can find a wiring diagram for it?

One of these:

somnif

flanagan0718

Looks like the same switch that MXR used to use back in the day. I think the brand name of the switch is "Carling". They are SUPER expensive for some reason. You could use just a regular DPDT or 3PDT switch if you didn't want to spend $10 on a carling one.

thesameage

I don't think that the switch is the problem.  It's so weird.  The wires from the switch to the board broke for the customer-- or he did a botched repair job. I took out the board, hooked it up to a tester and troubleshooted till I found a cold solder joint. Closed it up and it was fine.

Customer got it home and it didn't work in bypass and just had lout oscillations when the knobs were turned up... pretty  much no effect, just loud noise and then super loud noise.  Not sure what happened between my house and his, but I'm just going to make sure that all the wiring is correct and flowed properly.

Govmnt_Lacky

If my foggy memory recalls correctly.....

The way they used to wire those SPDT switches was to wire the Input jack to both the stomp AND the input to the PCB.

Then, they would wire the PCB output to another lug on the stomp and the Output jack to the last lug on the stomp.

This way, the Output jack could be switched between the Input jack -OR- the PCB output. Not true bypass as the PCB input can still weigh down the signal when you have the stromp in bypass mode.

P.S. I would replace that 3.5mm power jack with an enclosed type.

thesameage

I'd like to true bypass it and switch out the jack but the customer doesn't want to commit to all that yet. I agree that that's he move.

thesameage

I hooked he board directly up to my tester last night and it works perfectly. Looks like the switch is f'd. Gonna just replace that.

brianq41369

Yea +1 on Dpdt switch, the current switch won't turn it all the way off from audio chain. which is what they call a "tone sucker" dod 250 schematic is all over the internet, so not so hard to figure out in/out & ground connections, your friend will thank you in the end. I converted mine long ago, best thing I coulda done to it, otherwise it dulls up your sound bypassed. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thesameage

brianq41369

Here's a link to the switch diagram & converting to true bypass
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/bypass/bypass.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk