News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Really Ugly Duckling: Triton Delay (laser content!)

Started by culturejam, October 08, 2017, 11:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

After much tribulation, this one is finally boxed and done. The board layout (done by pickdropper) has long been verified, but I wanted to try out some new finishing techniques. I used rattle-can auto touch-up paint (4 coats), then laser-etched the artwork, then filled in with Sharpie (yes, Sharpie), and finally clear coat on top. It worked, but this particular example isn't perfect; it's not even all that pretty. But I'm proud of it because it was a lot of work and I learned a lot in the process.

Also, I thought I had the pots on hand, but didn't. Then I ordered, but ordered the wrong kind. So it's taken me a couple weeks to finish the build.

So yeah, it's kinda ugly. Also, the guts are far from tidy, and I badly mis-drilled the I/O/Power jacks. It's a case study in why you shouldn't just eyeball the drilling, especially with no center punching or pilot hole.  :o ;D

I'd never in a million years sell anyone something this ugly, but this one was always intended for me, so I'm fine with the final product. It sturdy and works well. Good enough for rock n roll, especially when I'm headlining Madison Square Bedroom.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Martan

You are too hard on yourself man! The pedal looks awesome, and you got the whole forum through a process of getting a laser system up and running. Great job!

mjg

The sharpie finish looks a lot better than you describe.  I think it looks pretty decent.

Adam_DIY

Lol your untidy guts look as good as my tidy efforts :-) It looks great man.

pickdropper

Oh, it's not THAT bad.  I'm sure you can do it cleaner, but the board work is quite clean.

I'd like to see how that laser does on an enclosure that etches better.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

EBK

You're going to have to post much higher resolution pics if you expect us to believe that this is ugly.   ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

culturejam

Thanks, guys.

Really though, the finish doesn't look that great. It's hard to see it in these pics, but if you held it in your hand, you'd see what I'm talking about. Had I intended it be a sort of "relic" finish, that would be one thing. But I was trying to make it awesome, and it's really kind of sketchy looking, haha.

But as I said, I dig it because it's a labor of love. I'm just ruined now because of the high level of quality that I have to conform to with Function f(x). Dave is ruthless with regards to quality.  ;D

m-Kresol

I also think that this is pretty clean. Not perfect, but really nice nevertheless.

I've upgraded my laser a bit and will try to use it like this this weekend as I'll be on a work trip starting tmr.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Dminner

I don't know what you are talking about. I love how that looks.  I am currently trying to figure out how to do DIY screen printing to purposefully get a similar look. Because I don't like anything too perfect looking.  I like lines that are a little rough around the edges.

culturejam

Quote from: Dminner on October 11, 2017, 08:22:13 AM
I don't know what you are talking about. I love how that looks.  I am currently trying to figure out how to do DIY screen printing to purposefully get a similar look. Because I don't like anything too perfect looking.  I like lines that are a little rough around the edges.

Well then, a cheap Chinese laser engraver is what you want!