News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Creating a pedal level attenuator?

Started by thesameage, October 09, 2017, 02:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Has anyone ever added a stompswitch that raises the output or volume level of a pedal? I'd like to put one in a bass preamp pedal so that I can raise the level for solos, etc. someone must have done this beforeā€”I'm not even sure what terminology to use.

This seems like the right idea, but something that you'd have to put after he effect and not in between a board and volume pot:https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19549-state-of-the-stomp-build-a-preset-volume-box

Thanks in advance!

Willybomb

You'd stick a clean boost at the end of *whatever*.  A Crackle Not Ok, SHO or LPB1 will work for you just fine.

thesameage

I may be overthinking this. I have a fatpants that I could use.

mremic01

Quote from: thesameage on October 09, 2017, 02:24:29 AM
Has anyone ever added a stompswitch that raises the output or volume level of a pedal?

You could have two volume pots and put them on a switch, then set each one to your preferred volumes. Or put a resistor in line with a single volume pot and have it taken bypassed when you step on the switch. Or just put a boost circuit after the main fx circuit in your pedal. Or put an independent boost pedal after it. Lots of ways to accomplish this depending on how you want it configured.

brianq41369

Sounds to me like your describing a volume pedal? Or you could replace pedals volume with a switch wired with 2 potentiometers- 1 dialed back & 1 higher volume? Saw a diagram of this on diystompboxes years ago?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianq41369

I have exact mod on my fuzz face gain pot, but replaced 1 pot with a fixed resistor

thesameage

What I really thought would be cool would be to have an onboard bass preamp and have a switch to quickly jump the volume. I want to figure it out for a pedal first. Thanks all for the ideas.

brianq41369

I would search out a clean boost, there's plenty out there with low parts count enabling you to easily fit it under the hood or in a small box you can clip onto your rear strap? I'd start with the Tilman preamp & move towards mini-boosters? buffers, boosters & preamps are short sweet projects with many benefits