News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Last Jedi

Started by Leevibe, October 09, 2017, 08:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

We have reserve seating already purchased for opening night thanks to my kid. I'm not as pumped for this as I feel like I should be. I feel like TFA is still holding up well for me. I hope this can live up.

https://youtu.be/GgBH_UoTu_U

m-Kresol

looks good so far. Not sure what is up with that penguin-like thing next to Chewbacca though. I guess they needed something cute and cuddly as a counterpole for the rage and anger that seems to dominate
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

somnif

Quote from: m-Kresol on October 09, 2017, 11:05:58 PM
looks good so far. Not sure what is up with that penguin-like thing next to Chewbacca though. I guess they needed something cute and cuddly as a counterpole for the rage and anger that seems to dominate

The story I heard is that Puffins kept wandering into frame when they were filming on Skellig Michael (the island Luke is on). Since its a nature preserve, they couldn't bother the puffins, so to deal with them they created a cuddly creature to digitally cover them up with. And the artists and writers loved the little things so much that they decided to actually write them into the plot in some way. (Plus, toy market, always a plus to the Star Wars/Disney PR people).

mjg

I'd believe they were put in as a toy/marketing thing before the story about puffins. But I have worked in marketing before so maybe I'm just too cynical.  :P

My 10 year old was screaming with delight about the little penguin, so regardless of the reason behind it, yep, it's going to be on shelves near you soon.

The new trailer does look good though.  :)

somnif

Quote from: mjg on October 10, 2017, 12:20:52 AM
it's going to be on shelves near you soon.

Mate, they've been on the shelves since the first trailer, ages ago. They even have an animatronic one that flaps and squawks.

And hell, its probably the first creature ever who's "Funko PoP!" figurine is photoaccurate...

Rockhorst

Kill all Porgs...Other than that, I suspect this trailer to be misleading as hell haha. It has you guessing at the story it suggests and I hope it's all done clever enough to not actually give away anything of the story we're gonna see.

Leevibe

For me the bird thing wasn't the sticking point, but Rey's saber moving with the music felt like a bit o' cheese.

madbean

Willybomb

Quote from: Rockhorst on October 10, 2017, 04:15:57 AM
....  I suspect this trailer to be misleading as hell haha. It has you guessing at the story it suggests and I hope it's all done clever enough to not actually give away anything of the story we're gonna see.

I hope so, otherwise they've just given away how Leia dies...

jimilee

Got my tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

I've not even seen the last Star Wars movie, Rogue One. TFA managed to kill off whatever enthusiasm I still might have had for the franchise after the prequels. But I reckon JJ Abrams is to blame here. I've finally figured him out. He takes a crap story, a real turd, dresses it up and polishes it to a fine shine (in the case of Nu Trek to a fine lens flare) so it looks spectacular, and then afterwards, after I've watched it I go hang on, something's not right here. Cause its still a turd underneath. He did it with Lost, Cloverfield, the Star Trek reboot, and now Star Wars. It looks good, it looks spectacular, but every time I watch one of his productions I go hang on, something's not right here.

culturejam

Quote from: Muadzin on October 10, 2017, 02:38:28 PM
I've not even seen the last Star Wars movie, Rogue One. TFA managed to kill off whatever enthusiasm I still might have had for the franchise after the prequels.

I thought Rogue One was waaaaay better than TFA. I encourage you to give it a try. Hell, just watch the first 30 minutes, and if you don't feel like it's radically different/better than TFA, shut it off.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

somnif

I personally felt the opposite. Rouge one was a poorly edited mess, with orphaned plot threads and confused characterizations. It turned around in the last third, and had an amazing final few minutes, but it was just "Ok" to me. Too many re-writes, too few drafts, don't know precisely what happened, but the final product was the same sorta dull that you get from mixing all the paint pots together.

TFA on the other hand, while a bit derivative, was fun. Likeable characters, a cohesive narrative flow, and constructed such that everything more or less "fit".

I enjoyed both movies, but I've never had an urge to re-watch Rogue One, while I pop in TFA every few months.
(These are opinions, obviously, so feel free to disagree)

Leevibe

culturejam

I liked Rogue One maybe because it wasn't yet another "let's blow up the Death Star" plot. Two was plenty, the third (TFA) was too much. 

I liked TFA overall, but I recall sitting in the theater thinking, "Again? Really?"  They had a decade to come up with a compelling story and all we got was a rehash of the first three films. I'll take a new, if imperfect, plot over the same-old-shit any day.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects