News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What USB Audio Interface?

Started by thesmokingman, October 10, 2017, 06:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmokingman

So I've been gifted a senn e609 mic ... and I've got a macbook pro with garage band ... what's a good basic usb interface ($100 squeal limit) so I can start piddling around recording myself sucking at guitar?
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

selfdestroyer

For me, I went with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 since it had the thunderbolt connection to my Mac Book and it would free up a USB connections for my controllers. I bet you can find a used one for pretty cheap these days. Its been working with every update of OS X and also Logic with no issues.

Cody

Willybomb

I'm going to have to say Focusrite too.  I'm pretty happy with my 18i6, just don't get to use it enough.

jimilee

For 100, go with the scarlette solo. It works great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesmokingman

thanks ... will check out the focusrite stuff

madbean

Using a Scareltt 2i2 here and I like it a lot. Only problem I ever have with it is if my computer goes into sleep mode I sometimes have to unplug the interface and plug it back in through the USB port to get the ASIO drivers to re-start. That may just be my computer.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on October 11, 2017, 12:39:35 AM
Using a Scareltt 2i2 here and I like it a lot. Only problem I ever have with it is if my computer goes into sleep mode I sometimes have to unplug the interface and plug it back in through the USB port to get the ASIO drivers to re-start. That may just be my computer.
It's definitely your *cough*windows*cough*  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

Quote from: jimilee on October 11, 2017, 01:42:53 AM

Yeah Brian, should have paid 4x the price for a less powerful Mac

(runs for cover)

stringsthings

Quote from: peAk on October 11, 2017, 02:15:05 AM
Quote from: jimilee on October 11, 2017, 01:42:53 AM

Yeah Brian, should have paid 4x the price for a less powerful Mac

(runs for cover)

*giggle*  (also running for cover)
All You Need Is Love

thesmokingman

its good to know macbook envy is still a thing.

jimilee

Quote from: thesmokingman on October 11, 2017, 02:35:40 PM
Boom, that just happened. What good is all the extra pc power if it doesn't work, or you have to reboot it for some ungodly reason? Bwahahahahaha

madbean

One thing about the 2i2: doesn't have Midi In/Thru. I should have spent a little more and gotten one with it. But, my keyboard controller does Midi over USB so it's no a big deal. I actually like the Scarlett much better than the $300 Firewire interface I used to have and it was half the price, I think. Plus it also came with a free license for XLN Addictive Keys which is pretty decent.

thesmokingman

Quote from: jimilee on October 11, 2017, 03:34:11 PM
Quote from: thesmokingman on October 11, 2017, 02:35:40 PM
Boom, that just happened. What good is all the extra pc power if it doesn't work, or you have to reboot it for some ungodly reason? Bwahahahahaha

I try to play nice but the mid 2015 macbook pro core i7 was the tits at the time I bought it and about the same cost as a dell xps. I triple boot so I'm well aware of how much more laptop you would need to get the same performance and battery life out of win10/server 2016 as I get out of MacOS.

peAk

Jokes aside, I like Macs. They're cute.

Matt

Scarlett 2i4 works great for me but might be a bit above what you want to spend
Matt