News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Carvin audio packed it in

Started by gordo, October 10, 2017, 06:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

This one came as a surprise. They've been around for 70 years. Shuttering the place.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

thesmokingman

purveyors of fine guitar amps that would make you say "meh" ...
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

mremic01

This is a shame. I had a Carvin bass amp that was just ok, but they've always just kind of been there with decent gear that gets the job done. Sad to see them go.

flanagan0718

I had a Carvin XB100 that was pretty cool. All tube and full of GAIN! But in the end my Peavey Valveking won.

crashguitar

Steve Vai has been with Carvin for awhile. I am curious where he will end up next. I imagine there are a lot of amplifier companies that would like to add him to their roster.

gordo

He's been messing with that Boss Blues Cube with the "tone capsule". They make a Legacy capsule. Now it makes sense.

I always enjoyed the catalogs when I was a kid. Always wanted an X100B too. I repaired a couple of the V3's (they have a tendency to fall apart without a road case) and I thought the amp was cool, but still, like most of their amps it just lacked that "je ne sais quoi".  What does that mean?  I don't know...
Gordy Power

timbo_93631

In the 90s and early 2000's I had two of the affordable tweed covered combos I can't remember what they were called, but they both blew up. Same thing on both, arcing act oss the circuitboard at the power tubes, burnt PCB, total failure.  That coupled with the overall meh tone made me walk away, I never looked back.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

brianq41369

Their guitars & basses were really good quality, what can you do? nothing lasts for ever

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stringsthings

Quote from: brianq41369 on October 15, 2017, 11:29:04 PM
Their guitars & basses were really good quality, what can you do? nothing lasts for ever

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AFAIK, they're still making/selling guitars under the "Kiesel" name instead of Carvin.
All You Need Is Love

artstomp

Download Carvin's schematic from here !

Download all schematics
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ydti16fpTFVzdZaVVGUHU1UHc
Modify message

gordo

Both. Kiesel and Carvin. I think they realized the audio side was going to tank and spun off the guitars so the taxman could kill them both. Think Saturn and Pontiac to the automotive world.

Kiesel takes on the custom shop stuff and carvin continues the legacy. I think they're trying to back away from the Peavey image (although I think that's a badge rather than a black mark).  Don't recall anyone ever complaining about build quality on a Carvin.
Gordy Power