News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

L5 Preamp channel switch popping

Started by Droogie, October 22, 2017, 08:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droogie

For anyone else who has built this, do you get popping when you switch channels? Bypass is totally quiet, btw. Tried both wiring versions, same result. I never noticed at low volume, but now gigging with it...
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

aion

I'd try two things... First, drop RPD down to 1M or so (it's specified as 2.2M). Second, add a 100k output pulldown resistor at the junction of R89, D1 and D2. This may help to bleed off DC that leaked through the C38, the output capacitor. I don't think this will have any impact on the tone but it will affect the output impedance slightly. (putting it more in line with what you'd see on a pedal) You'll have to just wire it to the nearest ground pad.

I haven't tried either of these, but comparing it with standard circuit that doesn't pop, these seem to be moves in the right direction.

Droogie

Thanks for the suggestions. I used a 1M for RPD originally, and tried the 100k to ground, but no change. I'm considering a workaround involving a momentary switch to ground the output while changing channels. Unless there are other possibilities that might solve for this. It's too great to not have it on my gigging board!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric