News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1N60 substitue

Started by lego4040, November 08, 2017, 10:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lego4040

Im finishing up the Aion Cumulus OD and it calls for a 1N60, I thought I had 1N34a"s laying around but there hiding one me. Whats readily available these days

somnif

A forward voltage of around ~.3V is pretty much their key characteristic. So a 1N34A is pretty much in the same ballpark. BAT46 would probably be similar too.

But 1n60's aren't terribly hard to find these days. Worst case, socket and play with them, pick what you like.

WormBoy

A germanium diode will clip differently (softer) than a silicon such as a BAT with the same threshold. Whether that will be a good or bad thing in this circuit ... is up to the beholder. I bought some diodes sold as germanium 1n60 that were actually silicon (Schottky), so beware if you want the germanium (they will have a large glass body).

Bret608

I built this too and germanium does sound better than silicon in the circuit. The germanium 1n60s I had were more or less identical in forward voltage drop to 1n34a, 1n270, 1n695, and so on. I imagine any of these would sound good. Anything with higher fv like silicon or LED will sound cleaner and/or crunchier in the circuit.

lego4040

Thanks guys, i just went through my stash again and seems I am out off 1n34A's. I have 1n914's and 418 somethings. I'll stay away from the bay while searching, anyone know a good source? Ill also put up wanted add here for the 60's

Bret608

Here's one possibility:

http://www.pedalhackerelectronics.com/1N60-NOS-Germanium-Diodes-p/1n60-red.htm

I had thought Pedalhacker closed up shop, so it was nice to hear recently that he is still around. Off to check out the rest of his stock!

lego4040