News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Questions on DIYGP Hydra Fuzz

Started by IWouldLikeToDIY, November 12, 2017, 08:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IWouldLikeToDIY

Hello everyone !!

Im brand new member of this forum . Im from Slovakia (Europe) , you probably never heard of it :) , so please pardon my english sometimes ... Im also a student of electrotechnics , so Im not a total newbie ... I have chosen DIYGP Hydra Fuzz as a part (along with another 2 guitar pedals) of my Main School Project . There are not guides/schematics/videos etc. in my language so Im seeking help on this forum :) I always wanted that sweet effects to spice up my guitar playing so rather then go to store and buy some , I would like to try build it by myself. This is my first DIY project so I have lotsa questions...
Here is source http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=233
OK, sorry about my personal stuff , here are the questions I wanna ask you guys ...

1)Should I stick with schematics and make a PCB layout from it , because in some points schematic and PCB are not matched... for ex. there is no C8, C9 capacitors in schematics but they are on PCB. So I dont know if it is something important or not. Im using EAGLE 7.2.0 software ...

2)What a Charge Pump , Do I even need that IC ?
   I cannot find anything like it on my local (e)stores , guess thats some old circuit not distributed in these days ...

3) Should I pay atention to materials of components , on Bill of Materials in .pdf file (Build Guide) there are only values of components.

Of course I have a tons of other quetions but these are the most asked in my opinion...
Thanks for further advices/tips etc. I appreciate it very much . :) :)

midwayfair

Quote from: IWouldLikeToDIY on November 12, 2017, 08:45:52 AM
Hello everyone !!

Im brand new member of this forum . Im from Slovakia (Europe) , you probably never heard of it :) , so please pardon my english sometimes ... Im also a student of electrotechnics , so Im not a total newbie ... I have chosen DIYGP Hydra Fuzz as a part (along with another 2 guitar pedals) of my Main School Project . There are not guides/schematics/videos etc. in my language so Im seeking help on this forum :) I always wanted that sweet effects to spice up my guitar playing so rather then go to store and buy some , I would like to try build it by myself. This is my first DIY project so I have lotsa questions...
Here is source http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=233
OK, sorry about my personal stuff , here are the questions I wanna ask you guys ...

1)Should I stick with schematics and make a PCB layout from it , because in some points schematic and PCB are not matched... for ex. there is no C8, C9 capacitors in schematics but they are on PCB. So I dont know if it is something important or not. Im using EAGLE 7.2.0 software ...

I cannot find anything like it on my local (e)stores , guess thats some old circuit not distributed in these days ...

3) Should I pay atention to materials of components , on Bill of Materials in .pdf file (Build Guide) there are only values of components.

Of course I have a tons of other quetions but these are the most asked in my opinion...

1) The schematic on the site is for the fuzz itself. The bill of materials contains some extra components for the charge pump.

2) A charge pump is a DC-DC converter chip. For instance, it can take +9V DC and provide -9V, or +18V, or +27V. Since you know some electronics, take a look at the datasheet. If you want to use PNP germanium transistors and a standard pedal power supply, you need the chip and the parts that go with it. If you only plan to use a battery, or if you plan to use NPN transistors, then you do not need it, though you will need to figure out which parts need to be jumpered on the PCB to omit it.

3) See #1.

IWouldLikeToDIY

Thank you midwayfair!

So if I want to make exact clone which can be seen in build report video , what I have to follow ?
Im making PCB by myself , not buying one from offi web store .

stringsthings

Quote from: IWouldLikeToDIY on November 12, 2017, 08:45:52 AM
Hello everyone !!

A very late hello and welcome to the forum!  Please do not hesitate to ask questions here.  We loves them.

On purchasing parts:  you'll probably have to go outside of your local (e)stores.
I believe Mouser serves the Czech Republic and they have a wonderful selection of components.
At quick glance, I see they have the charge pump LT1054, another popular choice.

I see that you're looking into the etcher's paradise.  This is a fantastic resource.   Brian has provided
a large number of good circuits to make yourself.  And some excellent documentation.  I recently built
two BMP's that I'm really happy with.

How's your Hydra Fuzz going?  Paul from DIYGP is a great guy.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy the PCB
for that circuit.  Be sure to check out the build reports section to get some primo examples of DIY builds.
And we'd love to see your next build there!   

Again, a welcome to the forum.  The best that the net has to offer.

All You Need Is Love