News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Comet DS1

Started by Adam_DIY, November 20, 2017, 08:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_DIY

I've never actually owned a DS-1 so thought I'd check the circuit out.  Really easy build on an Aion pcb i added the suggested mods and I'm a bit meh about this one.  It sounds fine but I have a load of other drives which either suit me better or just work better with my amp I'm not sure which.  I only have the Fender these days I sold my vox and marshall a few months ago and suspect it would have worked better with those.  It does look nice though  ;D

WormBoy

Nice build, both inside and outside! I see you used the SIP opamp, cool ... mojo points! I also built one some time ago (with a dual opamp), and for me it's also a bit meh-ish. I liked it for super hard-edged chording, but I don't do much of that anymore these days  ;D. I think this is one of those niche pedals that only sound well with a particular amp/guitar/player/setting ...

m-Kresol

it does look nice indeed and it's clean as hell too
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Adam_DIY

Thanks gents it was a fun build but wont knock any of my other drives off the board.  I really wish I still had my ac30 I think it would have played much nicer with the ds1.

matmosphere

Nice build 

Careful I hear womp rats like to chew wires.

Did you remember to leave a couple thermal exhaust vents.

Willybomb

diablochris6

Looks great. That illustration is crisp.

The DS-1 was the only standalone distortion that I had for many years. It definitely has a distinct sound that I think has fallen out of favor nowadays. My church's praise team never knew what hit them!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Adam_DIY

Quote from: Matmosphere on November 20, 2017, 06:57:02 PM
Nice build 

Careful I hear womp rats like to chew wires.

Did you remember to leave a couple thermal exhaust vents.

Dammit an exhaust port would have been excellent I really wish I'd thought of that.

Adam_DIY

Quote from: diablochris6 on November 20, 2017, 09:13:37 PM

The DS-1 was the only standalone distortion that I had for many years. It definitely has a distinct sound that I think has fallen out of favor nowadays. My church's praise team never knew what hit them!

Lol did you also use a BC Rich  ;D

somnif

Quote from: Adam_MD on November 21, 2017, 02:03:39 AM
Quote from: diablochris6 on November 20, 2017, 09:13:37 PM

The DS-1 was the only standalone distortion that I had for many years. It definitely has a distinct sound that I think has fallen out of favor nowadays. My church’s praise team never knew what hit them!

Lol did you also use a BC Rich  ;D

I do wonder what the old warlock would look like in a church setting.... my brain is confused.