News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Going to build me a Chunk Chunk

Started by andywragg, September 03, 2011, 12:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andywragg

I've ordered a couple of Madbeans Chunk Chunk boards today. Winters coming and I'm going to need something to keep me occupied during the long dark nights.

I already have a Biyang Metal End King distortion Pedal, but it doesnt  give me that ripping afterburner type distortion that is typical of high gain amps like the Mesa Boogie rectifiers (like I heard at the Alterbridge gig in October last year).

The other 2 Madbean pedals I've built are working well, so I guess its time to go through my rite of passage.

Will get my bits from Dr Tweak or Farnell here in the UK.

Thats is all.......   

shawnee

I LOVE the Chunk Chunk. I just finished mine a few days ago and it absolutely rocks. I like it better than any other high gainer I have used.

Dixie_Crap

The Chunk Chunk is high up my list of pedals to build.
Hope it goes well.

+1 for doctor tweek!  ;D

andywragg

I got the shipping notice this morning so I guess I should see my boards in a week or so. Emailed the good Doctor to see if he can stock up on some of the lesser used value components, so I can source everything from him.

mgwhit

I just finished one a few days ago using 2n5457's, but I'm still trying to dial it in (EQ, not bias).  Definitely sounds better at higher volume -- if I try to play through it with my amp turned down low it just sounds like an AM radio.  Of course, I'm playing a tele with a P90-ish pickup through it.  I leave the Presence low and kick the Bass and Mids.  It'll probably sound better once I finish my humbucker tele.

One thing I like about it is how well it cleans up with the guitar's volume knob.  It can't get too clean, of course, but sometimes I feel like the guitar volume is a better gain control than the Gain knob.

I didn't bother with shielded cable, but there's no noise except for some hiss that starts when the Gain knob hits around 12:00.  (Kinda like my friend's MESA now that I think about it....)  I don't think shielded cable would help with that at all.

Have fun!

andywragg

Priced up some of the components today using Farnell's website. Jeez this is an expensive build. Dont remember the other builds being as pricey as this. have the prices of components risen substantially over the last 12 months?

Dr Tweaks says he can source all the bits so I'll give him a go.

marauder

Quote from: andywragg on September 07, 2011, 11:22:00 AM
Priced up some of the components today using Farnell's website. Jeez this is an expensive build. Dont remember the other builds being as pricey as this. have the prices of components risen substantially over the last 12 months?

Dr Tweaks says he can source all the bits so I'll give him a go.

If it's having to buy 50 resistors at Farnell that's putting up the cost, then send me a PM I should have the required values, and can send them to you.  3362 trimpots aren't cheap, but do fit well.

andywragg

It's not the resistors, its the Caps. Granted I am buying enough caps for 2 pedals, but it still seems a bit pricey.

jkokura

yes.

But buying in bulk really helps. I calculated it out, and when I did a full cap stock up I saved hundreds. It's usually around 25-35 cents each for a box cap in small quantities, but when you buy in bulk it's more like 8-12 cents. Electrolytic caps can get even cheaper, cause buying 100 can be around 2-3 bucks (2-3 cents each) whereas individually it's more 20-35 cents.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Tayda sells individual caps at 10 cents a piece..they don't have all the values available but most now. I will agree though, stocking up is the way to go, most places individual price is kinda high.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

I've used this guy for the nice panasonic films in bulk.  Has most of the standard values we use.  Free shipping as well, took about a week and a half I believe.

http://stores.ebay.com/chinaeproducts

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer