News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY oscilloscope kit build report

Started by reddesert, November 22, 2017, 03:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drog_trog

I've been hesitant on getting into oscilloscopes for fear of complicated-ness but I'm sure they will help a lot of modulation builds and at this price I have to try t.

brucer

Thanks Ben for your super-helpful, thorough reply to my PM. Great idea to post for others.  I've decided to give the DIY scope a try.  Just waiting on delivery now.  Thanks again for the guidance.

Max

Yep, I'm also waiting for the delivery (since one month...), I have several things to check or fix and this little scope might prove to be really helpful.

reddesert

Good, I hope it's useful.

I used to teach an undergrad lab with oscilloscopes - industry standard Tektronix scopes with a dizzying array of dials and buttons, some of which even an expert hardly uses. My boss gave me the advice to tell the students, "You can't break the oscilloscope, so don't worry. Turn the dials and the worst that can happen is the signal disappears off the screen, and then we'll help you get it back." That's basically true here too. Even this little scope is rated for a 0-50V input signal, so as long as you don't go over that and don't plug in the wrong power supply, you're good. For the audio frequencies and low voltages that we usually work at, it covers most of the bases.  The main issues are learning about triggering and about how to interpret the displayed signal. I'm sure there are many good oscilloscope tutorials on the web, but nothing beats actually experimenting with the device.

EBK

Quote from: reddesert on February 15, 2018, 01:08:31 AM
I used to teach an undergrad lab with oscilloscopes - industry standard Tektronix scopes with a dizzying array of dials and buttons, some of which even an expert hardly uses. My boss gave me the advice to tell the students, "You can't break the oscilloscope, so don't worry. Turn the dials and the worst that can happen is the signal disappears off the screen, and then we'll help you get it back."
I always had to tell my students to stop pushing the "Auto" button and expecting it to magically set everything correctly every time.   ::)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Max

I don't know if anyone was aware of this, I wasn't until today:
https://www.jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1229
Unfortunately I ordered my scope from one of these shops, I hope after waiting more than 2 months I don't get a fake one. After not receiving anything for two months I agreed just yesterday to get a second one shipped, had I seen that forum before I would have asked for a refund.

blearyeyes