News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Marshall style kit?

Started by movinginslomo, November 25, 2017, 10:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movinginslomo

I say marshall but I want a high gain style circuit preferably in kit form as I won't have to source parts. Any suggestions? A friend has an outlaw effects plexi style pedal "deputy marshall" (dont' know what circuit) that I am digging. Any other high gains circuits I should look at?

Willybomb

Don't know about kits but the Boneyard, Crunchbox, BSIAB, and the Plexidrive are all great sounding pedals in that style.  The Boneyard and Plexidrive are the lowest in terms of gain, but they all sound great.

alanp

Just to be clear, you mean a pedal, not an amp kit? (Just asking 'cos that's the first thing that popped into my mind, a valve amp head.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

As long as you are aware there is a bit of price gouging involved in the kit trade, here are a couple I found:

https://www.pedalpartsandkits.com/plexiplus/

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Pink_Plexi_Distortion/p847124_7731211.aspx

There are many more options in bare PCB form out there as well. I've personally not made any so I can't say which are better than others, though.

Willybomb

WormBoy

Or the Guv'nor or Shredmaster (Fuzzdog also has kits for those). The Guv'nor has a nice classic Marshall vibe and an extensive eq. Not very high gain though. Best Marshall-type pedal I've ever built/played is the ROG Thunderbird. 1776 has a PCB, no kit. Sound is absolutely gorgeous (to my ears), but there is some serious hiss going on as well ... not too bad for rockin' with a loud band (especially when you use a noise gate to kill it when you don't play), but not so nice for recording.

movinginslomo

Quote from: alanp on November 26, 2017, 07:37:43 AM
Just to be clear, you mean a pedal, not an amp kit? (Just asking 'cos that's the first thing that popped into my mind, a valve amp head.)

Yes pedal. I actually want to run it into a blues Jr. and get some higher gain than I can get with the current EHX soul food/amp gain setup.

BSIAB, SHredmaster was what I was thinking too, thanks for the links and other suggestions!

movinginslomo

Quote from: somnif on November 26, 2017, 08:01:48 AM
As long as you are aware there is a bit of price gouging involved in the kit trade

also these are going on an x-mas list so it's easier to ask for a kit then try to instruct someone what to get. "what are ohms?" "resistor values mom, look at the color bands....ah just get me a kit!"

haha put a pedal's BOM as my list haha "5 golden diodessssssss! 4 IC's, 3 tantalums, 2 electrolytics, and one belton briiiiiicccccccck!"

Muadzin

Personally I always preferred the Marshall Guv'nor over the Shredmaster. Turn the gain full up and it has plenty of gain. And I've done a Metallica tribute show with one. As for kits, generalguitargadgets has lots of cool ones, including the Guv'nor. Plus his boxes all come with drilling for top mounts. Its where I got my top mount OCD from. :)

sonnyboy27

I've built that madbean turnabout (JHS Andy Timmons/Angry Charlie/MI Audio Crunchbox) and the BuGGs Thermionic Distortion (Friedman BEOD) and both are great. I'd definitely check those out.

BuGGs pcbs are great and he has a few high gain circuits on his site pedalpcb.com especially if you want top mounted jacks in a 125B...which I do.

midwayfair

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on November 30, 2017, 04:14:12 PM
madbean turnabout (JHS Andy Timmons/Angry Charlie/MI Audio Crunchbox)

hehehehehe I did not see this when the Etcher's Paradise was posted. That is hilarious.

Rockhorst

I've got some guv'nor-ish boards available that might be nice. I can assemble a kit if you want. I'll send you a PM.