News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clusterphuzz

Started by LaceSensor, December 02, 2017, 02:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

Most impressive! Great looking enclosure, and fantastic vero layout!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

LaceSensor

I went and build a baby version

you can read about the development and see my contest entry here

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=26943.0

jimilee

That's rather large by your standards. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

SWEET builds! Both of them  ;D

What did you use to secure the posts/standoffs in the full-sized build? Epoxy??

LaceSensor

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 05, 2017, 01:35:36 PM
SWEET builds! Both of them  ;D

What did you use to secure the posts/standoffs in the full-sized build? Epoxy??

nah they are just screwed through and bolted either side of the two veros - they are to hold the boards togeher, not hold anchor in any way to the enclosure - the board mounted pots and rotary secure the boards to the enclosure.

Bret608

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 05, 2017, 05:08:14 PM
nah they are just screwed through and bolted either side of the two veros - they are to hold the boards togeher, not hold anchor in any way to the enclosure - the board mounted pots and rotary secure the boards to the enclosure.

Duuuuhhhhh!!! Now that you explained it, I realize how incredibly DUMB the question was.  :P

culturejam

Holy shit, that's awesome!!  ;D 8)

The LED indicator for the clipping modes is brilliant!

I can only speak for myself, but I'm honored that you would want to build something that I/we designed.

As for it being overly bright, I think that might be some kind of error. I believe the trace that was done is correct (I looked at it and it seemed right). The production circuit is, in my opinion, kind of honky with a bit too much high cut on the input (which was a compromise we made to eliminate oscillation if both Fuzz and Volume pots are maxed-out). My original "final" prototype did not have this filtering on the input, and I actually prefer it. Hell, my original version didn't have any clipping options nor the input filter switch. Just four knobs. I basically designed it for me, and then Dave and Brian added all the great features that make it far more useful for a wider  audience. :)

But damn, well done, sir.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

LaceSensor

Quote from: culturejam on December 06, 2017, 05:04:57 AM
Holy shit, that's awesome!!  ;D 8)

The LED indicator for the clipping modes is brilliant!

I can only speak for myself, but I'm honored that you would want to build something that I/we designed.

As for it being overly bright, I think that might be some kind of error. I believe the trace that was done is correct (I looked at it and it seemed right). The production circuit is, in my opinion, kind of honky with a bit too much high cut on the input (which was a compromise we made to eliminate oscillation if both Fuzz and Volume pots are maxed-out). My original "final" prototype did not have this filtering on the input, and I actually prefer it. Hell, my original version didn't have any clipping options nor the input filter switch. Just four knobs. I basically designed it for me, and then Dave and Brian added all the great features that make it far more useful for a wider  audience. :)

But damn, well done, sir.

Hey dude

Thanks for your comments and thoughts.
It's probably just my amp - black star artisan which is known for being bright.
I think it sounds great and the change to the treble cap suits my taste. It was actually fun to play around with. I'll probably see if I can get a chance to acquire a Real one once things like xmas, moving house and wedding are paid for 😐

I always thought imitation was sincere flattery so I'm glad you agree

Ian

EBK

Quote from: culturejam on December 06, 2017, 05:04:57 AM
The production circuit is, in my opinion, kind of honky with a bit too much high cut on the input (which was a compromise we made to eliminate oscillation if both Fuzz and Volume pots are maxed-out). My original "final" prototype did not have this filtering on the input, and I actually prefer it. Hell, my original version didn't have any clipping options nor the input filter switch. Just four knobs. I basically designed it for me, and then Dave and Brian added all the great features that make it far more useful for a wider  audience. :)
Why do I get the feeling that "great features" wasn't how you originally drafted that sentence?   :P ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

Seconded on those LED indicators. That's pretty rad!

madbean

Quote from: EBK on December 06, 2017, 10:32:18 AM

Why do I get the feeling that "great features" wasn't how you originally drafted that sentence?   :P ;D

We f--k up all his designs. He's been good about reeling in feature creep (something I am way way guilty of).

culturejam

Quote from: EBK on December 06, 2017, 10:32:18 AM

Haha.  ;D Nah, the additions were good ones. The pedal definitely wouldn't be as cool without them.

Brian and Dave come from a different philosophy of design than I do, and that's partly what works about our oddball setup. Those guys are usually looking to add tweakable parameters, and I'm usually trying to figure out  how to reduce complexity.

EBK

I was just having some playful fun.  I hope you don't think I was trying to stir something up.  I have a lot of respect for you guys and your work.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

culturejam

Quote from: EBK on December 06, 2017, 03:58:02 PM
I hope you don't think I was trying to stir something up.

Not at all. I was actually more responding to Brian's comment than yours.  ;)