News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Glitterrattii C2 cap?

Started by rullywowr, September 14, 2011, 12:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Hello,

I understand that one can use a electrolytic cap for C2 on the Glitterratti however I am just curious:

1.  Are there any advantages for using a film cap there (is this in the audio path?)
2.  Why was a film specified here in the layout?
3.  Does the original use a film or electrolytic?
4.  If using a electrolytic, which side is positive (on the home etch single side layout?)

Thanks in advance for my redundant questions.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

gtr2

1.  Are there any advantages for using a film cap there (is this in the audio path?)

Yes, it is in the audio path, most agree that a film cap would improve audio fidelity.  Whether you can here a difference is subject to opinion.

2.  Why was a film specified here in the layout?

(see above)

3.  Does the original use a film or electrolytic?

I don't know, most likely film. 

4.  If using a electrolytic, which side is positive (on the home etch single side layout?)

Positive side towards Q1.  But I'd use film.  You can buy a nice batch of 30 here w/Free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonics-Polyester-capacitor-1uf-63v-30pcs-/160639875117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2566e1f82d

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

rullywowr

Thanks Josh!

I built a few of these recently and the latest ones I put a big honkin' 1uF film guy in there.  Hopefully it will make it sound even better than the electro!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

gtr2

Ha, yeah some of the film caps can get really large.  Small bear sells the topmay and panasonics that are the smaller size.  Same as the link I provided.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer