News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rotary switch between effects

Started by AntKnee, December 08, 2017, 09:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I'm working on a multi-build, a box with 4 different boosts. I want to use a rotary switch to select which boost is active. I also want to give each effect its own LED. I was planning to use a 3p4t to accomplish this, with a pole for input, output, and ground. My question is: Can I use the same ground to activate the effect and LED at the same time? Would this cause any unwanted popping or other ill side effects? If so, can I just use the LED+ pad on the PCB and connect the LED- to the ground pad of the PCB? My thinking is this will activate one boost and one led simultaneously. I'm hoping to have only one effect on at a time, instead of having all 4 on all the time and simply switching which ins/outs and led is active.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

m-Kresol

I guess, you will still have a stomp bypass switch in your setup besides the rotary to select the effect. If that is the case, than switching the LED will not be an issue. At least not, if you are only switching the boost when the effects are disengaged. Even if you switch the boosts when the effect is currently on, it shouldn't pop as the LED is not in the audiopath. Pops are most commonly produced by mechanical noise of stomp switches or in- and output caps with high leakage currents.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

AntKnee

Yes, I will have a footswitch to activate the pedal, but the rotary will select which boost and led comes on. I'll attach the switch ground from my footswitch to one of the poles of the 3p4t, and have it connect the ground of the selected boost and led to turn it on. I'll just daisy chain all the + power pads together, back to the power jack.

Willybomb

I did something similar with my Leviathan build - Treble booster, SHO, TB casaded into SHO, selectable with a rotary.  I used a single RGB LED to show when the pedal was engaged and which was on.

m-Kresol

I would just hardwire the GND to all pcbs and would just use the GND for the LEDs only. this will minimize any chance of popping I guess. Unless you are concerned that the overall power consumption will exceed your PSU output.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

LaceSensor

I did something similar with three fuzzes in one box.
I used a 3p4t switch and each had their own set of LEDs

all the "inputs" one one pole
all the "outputs" on another pole
different colour LED on the other pole

you can get different types of rotary for make-before-break or break-before-make which may or may not have different levels of pop
I dont recall my pedal having huge pop. I included a master true bypass with another indicator LED, too.
There was also another booster on another bypass footswitch on the way out, just to complicate further.
I used a strip of vero for a power bus (9v, ground, and if I recall CLR)

This was the pedal

and guts

AntKnee

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 09, 2017, 10:42:02 AM
I did something similar with three fuzzes in one box.
I used a 3p4t switch and each had their own set of LEDs

all the "inputs" one one pole
all the "outputs" on another pole
different colour LED on the other pole

you can get different types of rotary for make-before-break or break-before-make which may or may not have different levels of pop
I dont recall my pedal having huge pop. I included a master true bypass with another indicator LED, too.
There was also another booster on another bypass footswitch on the way out, just to complicate further.
I used a strip of vero for a power bus (9v, ground, and if I recall CLR)

You appear to have used the rotary to switch where the +power is directed.
I am going to use it to switch where the ground is directed.

I am trying to minimize power consumption.

I'll try it and see what happens. I think it will work.

m-Kresol

depending on which boosts you'll use, your power consumption will be <50 mA even with all of them on.

also, Lacesensor did hardwire all his grounds and 9V to the pcbs (see top left image). it's just distributing the power to the respective leds, which are independent of the pcbs.

LaceSensor

yeah thats right the switching is for the in/out routing and additional illumination.
Power and ground is distributed to all PCBs (via 100r resistors for some PSU separation), same as is normal tbh.

I think you might get pops switching the grounds but havent tried that method.