News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Christman present for myself .....NOD!!

Started by peAk, December 16, 2017, 04:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

New Oscilloscope Day!

After building one of those small scope kits, I have really been wanting a bigger/better scope. Not sure how much use it will get but there are definitely some things I really need to calibrate and its tough to do without a proper scope.

I know Jason recently got one of these and seemed happy with it. I also believe I have seen Alan with one as well. Seems to be the gold standard for a hobby scope.

Thank God for youtube tutorials!

BrianS

That's a great Xmas present.  I would love to have one but I'm afraid they don't have a long enough YouTube video to teach me how to use it.

stringsthings

Nice!  I hope someday to get a nice scope like that.
All You Need Is Love

gordo

Very nice.  For the handful of times I've needed it my old beater has done me well.  It's about the size of a small amp head but no complaints.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

Nice! Mine is a two channel Rigol, I want to get a four channel at some point.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

Nice Oscope. I wish I had one but I'd just be playing with the pretty pictures..

brianq41369

That's tits man! My old scope looks like it comes from an old horror flick....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peAk

So far I have only scoped the Gristilizer.

I plan to do my Total Recall and Aqua Boy Deluxe, as well my Minimoog.

jubal81

Took me a while to get over the initial learning curve and get the basics going. Great machine, though. What I really love is how it removes the fog of mystery. Curious how something works or what X will do to Y? just put the scope on it. Though what really tickles me is being able to precisely bias transistors.

Don't know if you have one yet, but you really need a signal generator. I like to use a .1V to .2V peak-to-peak sine wave to stand in for guitar signal.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

peAk

Quote from: jubal81 on December 21, 2017, 05:12:06 PM
Took me a while to get over the initial learning curve and get the basics going. Great machine, though. What I really love is how it removes the fog of mystery. Curious how something works or what X will do to Y? just put the scope on it. Though what really tickles me is being able to precisely bias transistors.

Don't know if you have one yet, but you really need a signal generator. I like to use a .1V to .2V peak-to-peak sine wave to stand in for guitar signal.

Glad you just brought that up. I just order a small signal generator kit from Amazon. You think this would be adequate? Or would I need something a little higher end?

jubal81

Quote from: peAk on December 21, 2017, 05:46:13 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on December 21, 2017, 05:12:06 PM

Glad you just brought that up. I just order a small signal generator kit from Amazon. You think this would be adequate? Or would I need something a little higher end?

I didn't get a kit, I got one of the super cheap FeelTech units. So far I just use it for that sine signal to simulate guitar, so for that I'd say minimum you need something that can do at least 5V peak-to-peak up to 10-15Khz.

What I haven't done with it yet is use it as a stand in for LFO in breadboarding.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

stecykmi

simple signal generators will work for almost all audio applications, especially hobbyist stuff. they are useful for calibrating but don't forget you still have to try it with a real instrument after  :P

cool scope! does it do XY mode? does it do fft mode/spectrum mode?

peAk

Quote from: stecykmi on December 21, 2017, 11:59:22 PM
simple signal generators will work for almost all audio applications, especially hobbyist stuff. they are useful for calibrating but don't forget you still have to try it with a real instrument after  :P

cool scope! does it do XY mode? does it do fft mode/spectrum mode?

I had to look up XY mode cause I wasn't familiar but yes, it does do X/Y mode as well as FFT. For me, it's a huge learning curve but I am definitely making progress every time I use it.

stecykmi

sweet, being able to see FFT's might be very cool, i highly recommend playing around with that. if you compare the input of a circuit against the output, you can see what kind of harmonics are generated.