News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Year / New Beginnings

Started by flanagan0718, December 19, 2017, 07:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey all,
     This year has been a tough one for me personally. Lots of stress and most of it revolving around the fact that I HATE my current job. Currently I repair medical equipment. It was a good gig for a while but there was a shift in management and the people that shifted have made it impossible for me to do my job efficiently. Not to mention they have no respect for me or the entire repair department. But, that is all going to change...

As of January 2nd I will be starting a new career in the repair department at Fishman Transducers. I am VERY excited for this. My new job is only 15 min from my house (as opposed to an HOUR commute currently) and i will be doing something I love. At 34 with a family and house it's a little nerve racking to shift gears like this. It was time for a change though.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I gave my 2 weeks notice yesterday and have mentally checked out now. 10 1/2 years is a long time at one job. Hey, I did get that awesome PRS custom 24 though. Thanks again for reading.

-Mike-

marmaliser

Good luck with the new job sounds like a winner

Been a tough year here as well, i got divorced and will be moving into my new house in January.  It has a garage that is too small for my car so hoping to get it insulated and turn it into a workshop and start building again

jimilee

Congratulations guys, I have done both, just not this year, and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I worked a job for 18 years and switched at 35, no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Excellent! Plus, sweet Fishman discounts for you to boot.

2018 will be a good year for you!

thesmokingman

I made the midlife career change three years ago ... scary stuff. get to do a shift in job at the new year from support to quality assurance ... so moving from confirming something is broken then fixing it into actively trying to break it in order to confirm it works
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

diablochris6

Best of luck on the new job. Sounds like it could be sweet.

Crummy jobs can make life pretty miserable. I was having a rough year at the high school I was teaching at. I busted my butt, but the school politics were changing and I was getting in trouble for not being able to motivate a particularly lazy group of students. They ended up letting me go before I got tenure. I now teach middle school at a district I previously worked at. It's 45 minutes away, but the school does a much better job at letting me know that I am valued. I just have to deal with hormones and early-teen funk.

Best wishes for your new gig. 
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

cajone5

I'm glad you're taking the steps to fix your situation.  Changing jobs is always difficult, especially when you pivot or shift to a new area.  It will all be worth it and the extra 90 minutes you'll get by reducing your commute will do a world of good for you, I'm sure.

Congrats!

peAk

Awesome Mike, Congrats!

Been three shitty years for me in oil and gas. Seems like every month there is a new layoff. Up to this point, I have avoided getting let go but I am feeling like my nine lives are almost up. You can only dodge the bullet so many times.

Like a crappy job, worrying about layoffs with a family can take its toll on you too.

Anyway, glad you got a new, exciting gig!

aion

Quote from: flanagan0718 on December 19, 2017, 07:45:21 AM
As of January 2nd I will be starting a new career in the repair department at Fishman Transducers. I am VERY excited for this. My new job is only 15 min from my house (as opposed to an HOUR commute currently) and i will be doing something I love. At 34 with a family and house it's a little nerve racking to shift gears like this. It was time for a change though.

Nice! Did your experience in DIY pedals give you a leg up with Fishman, or was it mainly your experience at the previous job?

m-Kresol

Nice to hear, sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Quote from: aion on December 19, 2017, 09:38:11 AM
Nice! Did your experience in DIY pedals give you a leg up with Fishman, or was it mainly your experience at the previous job?

I can totally vouch for the electronics education around here. I taught me a lot and especially sparked my interest to learn more. I'd be lost without the basics I learned around here in my job and I like to think that it also helped me to get the job in the first place.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

BryGuy

flanagan0718

Quote from: aion on December 19, 2017, 09:38:11 AM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on December 19, 2017, 07:45:21 AM

It did and I must thank ALL of you here. Being a member on this forum has literally opened doors for me. Thank you!

Brian, Your forum is THE BEST!!!

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2017, 08:47:43 AM
Excellent! Plus, sweet Fishman discounts for you to boot.

Also, This ^  :)

tone seeker

Congrats!

My company got bought out. Went from fun, to suck balls. I am starting to
keep an open mind about my job future.

Oh!, and I bought one of the PRS Sweetwater guitars as well, Extremely good
buy! I'm still a little on the fence about the pickups, I will give them a little
more time though.

flanagan0718

Quote from: tone seeker on December 19, 2017, 11:24:13 AM
Congrats!

buy! I'm still a little on the fence about the pickups, I will give them a little
more time though.

Tine it 1/2 step down and drop the D it sounds  great. I use it for playing a lot of post hardcore. I'm actually thinking about ditching the coil tap and replacing the pots. They are pretty loose.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: flanagan0718 on December 19, 2017, 12:12:45 PM
Quote from: tone seeker on December 19, 2017, 11:24:13 AM
Congrats!

more time though.

Tine it 1/2 step down and drop the D it sounds  great. I use it for playing a lot of post hardcore. I'm actually thinking about ditching the coil tap and replacing the pots. They are pretty loose.

I've always wanted a reasonably priced PRS guitar.

Unfortunately, they are lefty-snobs. Only offered in the outrageously priced models  :-\