2017 Year-end Wrap-Up

Started by madbean, December 20, 2017, 05:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: alanp on December 27, 2017, 08:10:57 PM
Quote from: Zigcat on December 27, 2017, 01:22:02 AM
Synth! Synth! Synth!

Pedals are a gateway drug, for some :)
I suppose one positive of getting into that synth stuff would be hitting the high quantity price breaks on jacks and knobs when you order parts.  :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

juansolo

Quote from: peAk on December 22, 2017, 11:35:04 AM
One thing I have noticed since the years I have been on here is that the life of a pedal builder on average seems kind of short. That has to be due to the fact that building pedals can get redundant. How many delays or phaser do you really need?

I think branching off from just pedals is the way to go if you really want to extend the life/interest of a builder. I think you have already started doing that a little and I really think it's a smart thing to do.

This is true, we built hundreds of pedals since starting, but it's wound way down now as nothing is exciting any more. Odd things and when we get involved in new things tends to re-ignite the fire. But otherwise, I'm currently spending a lot more time restoring vintage computers and consoles. All with skills I've learned from this hobby.

I doubt I'll stop building pedals as interesting things still come along every now and then, but my output is way down as I build so little for myself these days, and very few commissioned builds for people. That said, I really should get on with the few pedals I've been meaning to build for over a year now ;)

Quote from: madbean on December 21, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 21, 2017, 04:48:02 PM
It's counter productive, but will there be a limited edition  10th anniversary pcb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually thinking about that, too.

That should be a fancy re-issue of the original Sunking. That one PCB brought so many people to the site, and was responsible for so much excitement on the interwebs. Make it super limited with the sticker. I'd totally do that. It'd be the only way I'd ever build another klone!

Quote from: midwayfair on December 20, 2017, 06:18:05 PM
I still think there should be a subtle but easily found donate button for the forum. I realize you see this as an extension of your business, but, dude, sometimes I really just don't need to buy a PCB but I still want to say "thanks for letting me hang out in your house all the damn time and let me buy you a beer/cuppa/book."

Or an annual 'member' subscription. Entirely optional and I wouldn't want to lock non-members out of content. But if you are a member, you get a forum supporter tag or some such. I'd absolutely have no problem with this, if only to make the site self funding. The DIY world would be a poorer place without these forums.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Zigcat

Quote from: EBK on December 28, 2017, 03:58:50 AM
Quote from: alanp on December 27, 2017, 08:10:57 PM
Quote from: Zigcat on December 27, 2017, 01:22:02 AM
Synth! Synth! Synth!

Pedals are a gateway drug, for some :)
I suppose one positive of getting into that synth stuff would be hitting the high quantity price breaks on jacks and knobs when you order parts.  :P

So, in a way, building synths save you money.

m-Kresol

Quote from: juansolo on December 29, 2017, 01:30:33 AM
Or an annual 'member' subscription. Entirely optional and I wouldn't want to lock non-members out of content. But if you are a member, you get a forum supporter tag or some such. I'd absolutely have no problem with this, if only to make the site self funding. The DIY world would be a poorer place without these forums.

Best idea so far!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

flanagan0718

Thanks Brian. I've said it before and I'll say it again, This site and the people here are the only reasons I am still building. I was on a forum before I came here (started with "H" and ended with "armonycentral") and they nothing but A-holes! I was ready to throw in the towel and then I found this place. I lurked for a bit and saw how helpful and nice people were. That was it, I was hooked!

I would ABSOLUTELY pay a (voluntary or mandatory) membership fee. This place has helped me in so many ways. I found a creative outlet, helped me get a leg up on my new job at Fishman, forced me to learn things that I would have never learned other wise. If that is how i can help / give back / support this forum and site then I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Now a "make your own price" sticker is a FANTASTIC idea. I LOVE stickers and i would absolutely order 3 or 4 of them with each PCB purchase. I'm looking forward to many years of building outragious toys I don't need!   ;)

-Mike-

PS. More delay and modulation...less overdrive JK

thesmokingman

I am running short of "pedal goals" and I'm ok with this. offering me more or something new isn't going to change that and I'm ok with that(even though it isn't ok with a business per se). what I would like to do is be able to donate to the forums (because jesus christ, its the one place that doesn't devolve into a dick measuring contest) as a thank you for hosting not just a diy community for your own business but the businesses of others I have a great amount of respect for ... and importantly, not beating me over the head with advertisers.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Ang3lus

i haven't been active in a few years, been building amps mostly though i do enjoy the monthly visit to the forum and all its great members.

a DIY site had a donate button a few years and he managed to recruit a lot of money, I think you should do to the same, mainly because the service you provide is heartfelt one, your projects, other than being perfect, have a certain positive energy to them, i always feel pride stomping on a pedal with a MBP pcb.

i've had 5 hard financial years, but if you put up a donate button, i'm gonna donate, not as a donation, but as an acknowledgment of your great site

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on December 20, 2017, 06:18:05 PM
I still think there should be a subtle but easily found donate button for the forum. I realize you see this as an extension of your business, but, dude, sometimes I really just don't need to buy a PCB but I still want to say "thanks for letting me hang out in your house all the damn time and let me buy you a beer/cuppa/book."

I agree with this fully. I have such a HUGE back log of PCBs and not to mention other hobbies that are taking up time that I just want to toss some money your way. Doing web hosting for a few websites I understand the costs that are involved with hosting a active forum like this and would love to help any way I can.

PCB money has been spent on energy drinks and Hostess Cupcakes recently... and some synth stuff.. but mainly junk food!

Cody

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love