News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Octave > Envelope on bass... *that* sound

Started by thesameage, December 21, 2017, 10:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Finally played a bunch of my OC2 > my Source Audio Bass envelope filter last night on bass. I had one of those moments where I realized where half the sounds I have had in my head came from... or at least how to reproduce them. It's a total Mike Gordon of Phish sound through and through but you can also hear a lot of the synthy Stevie Wonder type bass as well.

Anyone else love this combo of effects?

I have a madbean nautilus and a merlin submarine that I need to try out. AS hard as I've tried, though, I feel like it's really tricky to get a good consistent autowah sound on bass with the nautilus. The Source Audio is all digital but sounds really good with minimal fiddling. I'm going to give the nautilus another run after the holidays, though.

Scruffie

Sounds like you might enjoy the Micro Synth... if only someone was to produce a PCB for it... 8)
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

Quote from: Scruffie on December 22, 2017, 02:04:09 AM
Sounds like you might enjoy the Micro Synth... if only someone was to produce a PCB for it... 8)

So..you're saying there is a chance?

Scruffie

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 22, 2017, 03:58:41 AM

I don't see why not, it's not hard to convert to LM13700.
Works at Lectric-FX

thesameage

I'd love that! I had a big box one years ago that had issues with true bypass but sounded great.

thesameage

Quote from: Scruffie on December 22, 2017, 04:10:24 AM

I don't see why not, it's not hard to convert to LM13700.

I would definitely build it...

jimilee

*resident bass player raises hand*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Maybe I'm reading between the lines but it sounds like better than just a chance.

jposega

I've run the gamut of octave + Envelope combos.

First came the OC2 paired with the MXR Bass Envelope. The MXR had a weird noise issue so I flipped it for the one-footswitch Source Audio BEF.

Used the combo a good few months, then got a second OC2: one for octave plus dry, one for octave no dry. Decided I liked the option of soloing the octave and flipped my OC2s for a 3Leaf Oftabvre. Around the same time I flipped the BEF for the SA Manta.

Enjoyed that combo for a few months and then Josh Broughton at TalkBass developed the Broughctave, a refined and heavily modded/ improved OC2 and eventually flipped my Octabvre for one of those.

Then Josh developed the Joshwah, which is sort of like a Mutron III but simpler, and since I found I only used one setting on the Manta, I flipped the Manta to get a Broughctave.

I now use the Broughctave into the Joshwah for funk and synth style tones. Add OD or fuzz or delay for super synthy sounds.

The world needs a Bass Micro Synth with rotary pots instead of the easily-broken sliders.

thesameage

Thanks for this post!  Just at the start of a similar journey. I have read a lot of great stuff about the broughton effects: http://broughtonaudio.bigcartel.com/products

I get the sense that the joshwah doesn't get very "wet" sounding and i like that about the source audio bef. Is that accurate? Also, what's better about his oc2 version?

thesameage

Also, have you tried the Merlin u-boat? Pretty good synth sounds on that one: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/uboat.html

jposega

Quote from: thesameage on December 23, 2017, 06:46:39 AM
Thanks for this post!  Just at the start of a similar journey. I have read a lot of great stuff about the broughton effects: http://broughtonaudio.bigcartel.com/products

I get the sense that the joshwah doesn't get very "wet" sounding and i like that about the source audio bef. Is that accurate? Also, what's better about his oc2 version?

I don't know... the Joshwah gets plenty quacky and funky to me. I'd need a sound sample of what one wants to achieve with an envelope to know if the Joshwah can do it or not.

The Broughctave has the following improvements over an OC2: no -2 octaves; separate volume controls for dry and octave down go well above unity so the solo'd sub can be heard in the mix; a filter sweep for both dry and octave sounds separately so you can tweak them for fat dub sounds or growly synthier sounds; dedicated Square wave control adds a square wave fuzz in unison with the dry signal (also has a filter control); second footswitch can be configured to solo the sub, engage the Square wave, or something else I forget.

It can sound just like an OC2, but the volume and filter controls let you really tweak it to taste.

Haven't tried the U-boat and I don't think I will unless I find one really cheap. What I really want is another Meatbox to add even more subs to all my tones.