News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tribute to "chuckbuick" aka Mark Green

Started by Cyclops, January 02, 2018, 07:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclops

A friend of mine lost her brother "chuckbuick," aka Mark Green early in 2017. I have been asked to go to her house this weekend and play through all the beautiful pedals he created. As is evident on this site, he was a great contributor, helpful individual, and a master at SMD!

I'm reaching out to the forum to ask if any of you have some positive/personal things you could share about Mark. I have the great privilege of getting to sample and play through the almost 100 pedals he left behind this coming weekend. This will be very cathartic for his sister, who looks forward to hearing what sounds his creations were capable of.

I thought it could be very meaningful if I could share with her some positive things from individuals on this forum when I go to see her this weekend.

For any of you who knew him or interacted with him, I would be grateful for any positive things you might have to share. Thanks very much for your time and consideration.

All the best,

Jeff Reed

alanp

His custom SMD PCB layouts were always clean, elegant, crisp, and at the same time somehow managed to get ten kilograms of stuff onto a five kilogram board.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Hi Jeff,

I have many positive things to say about Mark Green.  I worked with Mark on his first few PCB layouts.  I had been doing SMT type stuff for a while and that interested Mark because of his experience at work.  We corresponded through PM at BYOC and via email.   Mark quickly made some fantastic layouts.  I still remember him saying it was "his favorite puzzle game", which I thought was a fantastic way to describe board layout work.

Mark was very generous.  In the beginning, he sent me one of every PCB layout he did.  At one point, he did a layout with 0402 passives and I said something obnoxious along the lines of "that's fine and all, but call me when you start building with 0201 parts."  Sure enough, he did a layout with 0201 parts.  He sent me a board and all of the parts to build it.  I did build it but, to my shame, still haven't boxed it.  I plan on completing the build in his honor shortly.

I've mentioned it earlier on this forum, but I lost two friends in 2017 as well and I'm still reconciling it.  My deepest condolences to his sister and to his friends.  I didn't know him outside of the Internet, but he was a friendly and kind man and I think the world is a lesser place without him.

Sincerely,

Dave aka pickdropper
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jubal81

Please share my condolences.

Mark was not only supremely talented, but understanding, generous and kind. Not only did he share a project with me, he refused to give up on me even when I was ready to give up on me. I fried some components and we went out of his way to get me some more and walk me through the process. He was a good friend to this community and we grieve with you.

Thanks for giving us this opportunity and please let his sister know we miss him, too.
Jason (jubal81)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

m-Kresol

Unfortunately, I did not have much contact with Mark. However, I always appreciated his layouts, which were optically pleasing as much as they were sonically. He was a master-SMD builder and the first go-to-guy for any question on the matter. When he started to contribute to Grindcustoms I was very impressed with the output of the collective and all the layouts he did.

I dearly miss having him aroud here.

I also echo what the others said. My condolences to his family.

Felix
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Zigcat

I would drool over his work. In particular, these two beauties. I wish him the best in the afterlife and will continue to admire his work.

I would love to get these boards so much. Absolutely gorgeous.

LaceSensor

Im very sorry for your loss

His builds and PCB layouts were borderline legendary in SMD
I cant begin to fathom how talented (or perhaps how long) it took him, especially the A/DA flanger - wow.

Certainly he was a great contributor here and I will be sad to not see any more of his builds reported on.

I appreciate this is a very niche and limited perspective. Being in the UK I never met him, but this community will miss his presence.

Take care.
Ian (LaceSensor)

culturejam

He was a very nice, generous, funny, and talented guy. His work is some of the best I've seen in the hobby world, and much of it eclipses "professional" pedal companies.

I hope you blocked off several hours for this event. Just playing a few pedals could take almost an hour. With all the wacky stuff he made, you could spend days and still not really get deep.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

sjaustin

Count me among those who admired his work a great deal. It's so easy to forget that there are real people—not just individuals but whole families and relational networks—behind every poster on an Internet forum like this. Condolences to Mark's whole family.

If there is any sort of fundraiser in his memory, especially to support causes pertinent to his death, I am certain this community would be eager to contribute. Let us know.

madbean

We did have a thread for Mark last year with quite a lot of responses. Just mentioning that because it is worth a read-through since there are many wonderful replies/stories in it. We were lucky to have him here and his passing is a big loss for the DIY community.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=25511.0

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

I only got to work with/interact with Mark when he did a couple projects with Grind Customs. His personality really melded with the whole team. SUPER talented and really humble about it. He has been missed around these parts for sure but his legacy (build reports & project postings) lives on, here on the forms.

His builds have made it in my "inspiration" folders over the years.

Its a good reminder on how easy it is to slip into a dark place and loosing the struggle. I wish his family my condolences.

Make some epic noise with his arsenal of great pedals!

Cody

dan.schumaker

I was always in awe of his work.  No disrespect to anyone else on this board (and we have plenty of supremely talented people here), but his SMD layouts were definitely next level.

And he was always super generous.  As a few other people had mentioned, I had asked him about a board he made, and he just sent it free of charge, offering any help he could, and never asked for a penny in return (even as I kept asking to pay him).  Definitely a person I loved seeing posts from.

matmosphere

His work was really second to none, IMO. As good or better than any other work I have seen on here. He obviously took great pride in his craft.

Mark's work was inspiring. Every time I saw his stuff it made me want to work harder, execute things better, or research something I had not seen before. 

When I first started in this hobby Mark seemed like he was one of the most exprienced builders on the forum. He was very knowledgeable and was always willing to chime in and answer questions. He would take the time to help people understand a difficult concept if they were stuck.

Not many of us actually know each other in person, and I never had the chance to meet Mark in person, but if his actions here were any indication of what type of person he was then I'm sure he did a lot of good before leaving us.

His work set the bar for the rest of us and his presence here helped make the community a welcome place for hobbiest of all levels. He will be missed here greatly, please pass on my condolences to his friends and family.

I'll echo sjaustin. If there is every a fundraiser in his memory please pass that information onto us I'm sure that there are many on here who would be willing to contribute in his memory.

P.S. Take some pictures of all of those amazing builds for us if you can.

Govmnt_Lacky

I had the pleasure of interacting and having dealings with Mark. He was a super cool cat and always helpful and patient.

When Mark passed, I received an email from his sister telling me such and offered my condolences as well as a request on where to send flowers, etc. Never heard back but assumed it was due to the massive time involved with the dealing of the loss of a loved one.

One of the best designers and builders I have ever seen in my time.