News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

If you haven't been to BLMS for a while...

Started by Leevibe, January 04, 2018, 06:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

Take a look at what Lawrence is carrying these days.

https://lovemyswitches.com/taiway-3pdt-on-on-switch-solder-lug-short-shaft/

A few years ago I had put in a request for Taiway or similar quality toggles in a 3pdt short bat configuration. He was only carrying the cheapies at the time and I didn't feel confident about using them in customer builds. I honestly forgot about it and figured my suggestion was white noise even though he said he appreciated the feedback.

Fast forward to October and he sends me an email referencing my request and says that he's now carrying the Taiway brand! I was super impressed that he tracked the communication and followed up. At that time he still didn't have the 3PDTs but he does now!

He really has some fantastic prices and does a great job of being honest about which parts are really nice quality and which need to be treated gingerly. I really like that. I'm planning to buys some of the toggles and I want to give one of those DeMont super premium stomp switches a try when he gets them back in stock.

Zigcat

Now if only he would change the name of his business to something more inviting to women builders.

Leevibe

Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:34:17 PM
Now if only he would change the name of his business to something more inviting to women builders.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the name but it's very much tongue-in-cheek and I think he's a pretty classy guy. I think he explains somewhere on his site where the name came from. It's not as insidious as it sounds.

Zigcat

I agree. He is a great guy and BLMS has amazingly high-quality and quick service. When did he move to Portland!? My last shipment got to me in a day or so. I was amazed!

Leevibe

Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:51:59 PM
I agree. He is a great guy and BLMS has amazingly high-quality and quick service. When did he move to Portland!? My last shipment got to me in a day or so. I was amazed!

I think it's pretty recent. It's right across the river from me. Are you in the PNW?

Zigcat

Beaverton. So, I just tell everyone I live in Portland ;D

Leevibe

Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:57:33 PM
Beaverton. So, I just tell everyone I live in Portland ;D

I'm in Washougal. Let's hang out some time. If you haven't checked it out yet, Stomptown turned me on to a place called Surplus Gizmos out on Cornelius Pass Rd. It's hit and miss in terms of finding useful stuff but sometimes you can score some pretty cool stuff.

Zigcat

I live at Surplus Gizmos! And you never have any idea what you may find if you dig for hours.

beneharris

I do love Lawrence's stuff. The thing I miss most about Portland is being able to go out and get everything I needed. Now even pedal parts. I couldn't get a 3 way switch here in Flagstaff if I tried!

Stomptown

Pretty neat that we have someone local now in the Portland area.  I've used BYOC under a time crunch (they are located in Tri-Cities area iirc) but it's really not that much faster than Small Bear, etc.

Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 07:11:07 PM
I live at Surplus Gizmos! And you never have any idea what you may find if you dig for hours.

Man I love surplus Gizmos. Moved out to The Dalles a few years back but I still make 2 or 3 trips a year, including the 50% off Black Friday sale. In fact that's the only place I'm willing to shop on Black Friday. :)

trotel

I've also been really pleased with BLMS.  I get orders in two days  (San Francisco) from him and his stock continues to improve and has good pricing.  As always, it's tough to expect a one stop shop for all your pedal making needs but these days I'm down to him and Tayda with an occasional special order elsewhere. 

Oh and his bare and powder coat enclosures seems to be consistently good.  I got fed up with inconsistency from Mammoth. 

jubal81

BYOC in Tri-Cities? Wow, that's good to know - only an hour or so down the road. Also nice getting OSH PCBs a day or 3 quicker since they're in Portland.

Gonna have to check out Surplus Gizmos next time I'm down there. Hadn't heard of it, but it looks like fun.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Stomptown

Quote from: jubal81 on January 04, 2018, 09:40:38 PM
BYOC in Tri-Cities? Wow, that's good to know - only an hour or so down the road. Also nice getting OSH PCBs a day or 3 quicker since they're in Portland.

Gonna have to check out Surplus Gizmos next time I'm down there. Hadn't heard of it, but it looks like fun.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun for sure. Make sure you ask about the Germainium diodes and transistors they keep behind the counter. They are a bit expensive but  I guess that's to be expected. I typically wait for the 50 percent off sale to buy them.

Zigcat

Quote from: Stomptown on January 04, 2018, 08:51:15 PM

Man I love surplus Gizmos. Moved out to The Dalles a few years back but I still make 2 or 3 trips a year, including the 50% off Black Friday sale. In fact that's the only place I'm willing to shop on Black Friday. :)

My other favorite place was called R5-D3 Electronics out of Milwaukie. It had the craziest selection of old gear and tubes. Tubes galore! Sadly the owner, Bob, passed away a couple years back. I really miss the old surplus stores. I'm only 33, but I am still old enough to remember the tail end of good old days.

Edit: Sorry for hijacking the thread. :(

culturejam

Quote from: Zigcat on January 04, 2018, 06:51:59 PM
When did he move to Portland!? My last shipment got to me in a day or so. I was amazed!

It's been a while. At least a year. I have an order email with the Portland address from March 2017, but I think he moved a few months before that.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects