News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What do you use to cut .030 copper clad for faceplates?

Started by blearyeyes, January 23, 2018, 10:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I've been staring down etching copperclad for a long time and I think it is time to up my game. I was wondering if you have any tips for etching faceplates?

BrianS

If you've seen this disregard.  If I remember correctly I believe I read in there that MB used a band saw to cut his plates.  I am the in same position as you. I bought a bottle of Ferric a month ago and it stares at me every time I go to the garage. 

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/builds/reports/zpsdx/p2.html

blearyeyes

Don't have a BSaw. Somebody mentioned HD scissors. Not sure just wanted input. I'm just doing faceplates on really thin FR4. After that maybe some circuits.

alanp

You could use a stanley knife and a metal ruler to cut with some room around the edge, like with perf or vero (score and snap), and then sand it down to the size you want for a cleaner edge.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

you can use regular scissors and then sand it down. or use a dremel tool. make sure to use a dust mask though. the fine dust is pretty harmful to your respiratory system!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

gordo

I use a pair of cheap tin snips.  It ain't pretty but it works and easy to get straight.  I go in with sandpaper to get a smooth edge and get rid of any lip that the tin snips leave.  I sometimes use a bandsaw for larger or irregular shapes but with my house on the market I'm getting used to the "less is more" mantra.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

Thank you guys. Got good Tin Snips.. Wow still hesitant. Jump into the pool stupid!

Got Etchant, FR4, Dremmel, Drill Press adaptor for Dremmel, drill bits, Tinning solution, glass containers for etching, plastic grabbers of all sizes, Blu stuff (whatever it is called) for transfer, a B/W laser printer, oh yea! I need a cheap iron..well I'l have to pick one up...
Tomorrow..hehe.