News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road Rage chip gets really hot

Started by Sigesmundninja, September 19, 2011, 05:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

I've built a Pastyface and are powering it with a DC-jack and battery through a roadrage-board.
I found a wiring diagram in the Zygote-documentation wich I used to wire the pedal.

The pedal is working fine but when I was about to install a led I noticed that the chip of the roadrage is VERY hot!
This isn't normal right?

I only installed C3, C4, C5, D3 and the chip I used was a MAX1044 (CPA0851)

thank you.

/Markus

madbean

It's normal to get slightly warm, but it should not be hot. Have you tired measuring the voltages to see if it is giving the correct results?

Sigesmundninja

It seems to give about -3.2V when I'm running it from a battery

jkokura

That means something is wrong. You should be getting -9V.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

I'd check for solder bridges. Also, make sure the IC is mounted in the right direction (obvious, I know, but I put them in backwards all the time).

Sigesmundninja

I've doubble checked it all 3 times and couldn't find anything wrong. the chip and all the caps were in the right direction. Then I swapped the chip and it worked fine. -8.8V out of the roadrage. Is it common that chips are bad?

irmcdermott

Quote from: Sigesmundninja on September 20, 2011, 07:45:45 AM
I've doubble checked it all 3 times and couldn't find anything wrong. the chip and all the caps were in the right direction. Then I swapped the chip and it worked fine. -8.8V out of the roadrage. Is it common that chips are bad?

Common? No. Possible? Yes.

gtr2

If you are using a socket, which it sounds like you did.  Sometimes the legs of the ic may not be seated in the socket properly depending on the socket type.  Maybe that's what happened?  Glad you got it working though.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer