News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ABDX-PIF build

Started by EBK, January 07, 2018, 08:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

That's truly mesmerizing.  It almost pains me to think that you'll be putting it on the ground and stepping on it!

Great idea, and great execution.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

benny_profane

Nailing it! The circles ended up coming out great! How're you liking it?

EBK

Thanks, everyone!  Your support means a lot! 

I've added a few more coats to the finish since I posted that video clip, and it is looking even better.  I'm quite pleased with how these experiments are turning out (both the translucent blue and the paper labels were uncharted territory for me).

Quote from: benny_profane on October 23, 2019, 07:43:48 PM
Nailing it! The circles ended up coming out great! How're you liking it?
Thank you for steering me toward the rings!  I agree that it really does tie the elements together well.

I have at least one experiment to go before this is done: combining the "on" and "rate" LED indications into a single RGB LED in a way that matches the overall color scheme. I believe my rings and the background are fairly close to the same hue, so I may end up matching that and varying the brightness with the aid of a transistor or two.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

nzCdog

Wow! Looking great, really catches the light beautifully.   8)

EBK

Ready to finish my build now.  I'm declaring the enclosure done.

A preview of the end (still have to connect lots of wires inside):

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Boba7

Stunning ! I love it. Cant wait to see it finished. Great job as usual!!

benny_profane

Looks killer! How're you digging it?

EBK

Thanks!

Quote from: benny_profane on November 06, 2019, 08:48:23 AM
How're you digging it?
Not done yet, but I am very pleased with the enclosure.

Just finished soldering the stomp switch and a long shielded wire for the output jack.  Next, I'll attach the charge pump board.  I'll need to fire this up outside of the enclosure in order to adjust all of the trimmers (in order to fit this board in a logical way for the connections, I had to turn it upside down, so the trimmers will be inaccessible when it is done).  Still tons of work to do before I even know if this thing works.

I'm hoping to be completely done with this pedal by the end of the year.

benny_profane

Oh yeah I knew you had a lot more to do on the inside, I was wondering about the enclosure. You put a lot into that and should be proud!

EBK

Some progress.

It powers up correctly, the LFO runs, and I've figured out how I want to do the LED indications.  I'm using the blue element of an RGB LED for bypass indicator and green for LFO rate, which means (after some trial and error resistor selection) my LED oscillates between blue and cyan when the effect is on.  The LED is off when the effect is bypassed.

Next, I will figure out which way my wave toggle switch gets wired (I have a weird preference for always putting the keyways on threaded bushings upward).

Then, I will work on all those trimmer settings.

benny_profane

Quote from: EBK on November 09, 2019, 08:02:12 AM
I have a weird preference for always putting the keyways on threaded bushings upward.

I do the same thing.

Are you getting any LFO noise or problems with the LEDs?

EBK

Quote from: benny_profane on November 09, 2019, 08:05:03 AM
Are you getting any LFO noise or problems with the LEDs?
You are several steps ahead of me.   ;)
I haven't listened to anything yet.  Still working on basic connections.

Minor sneak update:
Thought I should show these pot insulators/spacers before they get permanently hidden from sight.  They're made from scraps of ancient relic perfboard from Radio Shack and attached with CA gel glue.

EBK

I have started to do some calibration and testing outside of the box.  There are all sorts of squeals and whistles, but the BBDs appear to be BBing.  I imagine long wires, lack of shielding, my breadboard, and the fact that my test signal is coming from my $20 oscilloscope that is also sitting unshielded on the breadboard next to the circuit are contributing to the symphony.  Too early in the process to worry about anything though, so I'm calling it a positive test so far.  I'll press forward and get it all working, then I will tackle the whistles.  ;)

EBK

Just reporting this for completeness.

The squeals and whistles are largely gone when using a guitar for my test signal.  I'm definitely getting delayed signals out of both BBDs.  But, my circuit output appears to be simply my clean input.  There were a lot of options in the build docs (jumpers, component omissions and substitutions, etc.).  I'm going to double check to make sure I have properly implemented the configuration that I have chosen:

MN3005 BBDs
MN3101 clock
True bypass