News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosures with vertical vs slanted sides

Started by Max, January 16, 2018, 05:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

All the enclosures I've used so far [1590A, -B, -BB, and -DD] have the side walls slightly slanted, probably because of the manufacturing process. Now, I have a project where the jacks are PCB mounted and it fit exactly in a 125B. Do you know if the 125B available at musikding have the sidewalls vertical, or eventually, where to find such a box? I seem to remember that the enclosures used by MXR have the side walls at 90 degrees square, but it's been a long time since I've seen one.

davent

I'm guessing any cast enclosure is going to have slanted sides to a varying degree to facilitate it's removal from the mould.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

m-Kresol

if you just push the jacks onto the pcb and screw them to the enclosure and solder the jacks then, the slight tilt will not be a problem. unless the jacks are on the component side, than it will get tricky.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

EBK

Quote from: davent on January 16, 2018, 08:55:37 AM
I'm guessing any cast enclosure is going to have slanted sides to a varying degree to facilitate it's removal from the mould.

dave
correct.  The angle is called the draft angle, and it is designed that way so that the casting will be able to release from the die, even as it shrinks.  2° for die cast aluminum. 

For straight sides, look for either a bent metal enclosure or a machined enclosure.  But, the better answer, I think, has already been offered:  If you must use PCB-mounted jacks, mount the jacks to the enclosure before soldering them to the board (at a 2° angle). 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Max

Thanks a lot for the replies. Yes, I'm aware of the draft angle (I just ignored the English term for it), I was just wondering because of the MXR enclosures, but probably it's been too long since I've seen one.
The problem is exactly that the jacks should be mounted on the component side, but the project is not frozen yet so I can still change things like this. I liked the idea of having everything except the power jack and the foot switch installed on the PCB, I hate to have wires around, but I will live with that.

Netnnk

I encountered some 1590b and 1590G enclosures without any draft angle when my enclosure searches led me to vape supplies sites.  I've seen the the draft angle also be called "lean".  There was a demand for enclosures you could  stand up and not have topple over.

I don't know about perfectly flat 125 (what you asked for) B or BB sizes , but right now Mammoth is selling 1590G's with no angle for very cheap that may help someone else.
https://www.mammothelectronics.com/collections/closeout-items/products/4s1590gz

EBK

In addition to machined enclosures, you could look into extruded enclosures.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Quote from: EBK on January 17, 2018, 04:15:01 AM
In addition to machined enclosures, you could look into extruded enclosures.

Or sand down the draft angle on a cast enclosure.  ;-)

(Note: I wouldn't)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper