News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

USPS nixing international flats as a shipping method for anything but documents

Started by aion, January 17, 2018, 12:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Yeah, that's how mine is too.

The individual I spoke to really didn't understand anything related to the global postage setup or shipping internationally and it was like he was learning as he went.

I'm assuming it may get relabeled at the postal distribution center?

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

Quote from: gtr2 on January 25, 2018, 11:32:50 AM
Yeah, that's how mine is too.

The individual I spoke to really didn't understand anything related to the global postage setup or shipping internationally and it was like he was learning as he went.

I'm assuming it may get relabeled at the postal distribution center?

Yeah that's what I'm hoping.  And maybe they have access to the cut off portions of the address you mentioned when they re-print?  Who knows.
I can see there are some annoying things here though.
It looks like there may be 6 lines max for the address? Aand 3 of them have to be entered into the required fields City State and Zip.  So you can't paste the whole address in anymore, and you have to sit there and try to fit portions of the address into those fields that don't make sense for a lot of international addresses.
And another required field is Order Number, which I don't normally use, so I'll have to come up with something there.
Is that what you're getting too, Josh?
They need to update this software soon (I hope).  It sure would be nice if they could make this GAP thing work with Dazzle.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

Yeah, I was trying verified addresses when the tech was on the phone.  There is no more cut and paste.
He was wondering what was taking so long and I explained they have boxes that won't let you proceed until you get the right combination and each Country is different.  He totally didn't get it...
You can go into preferences and disable the requiring an order number.  I haven't found a workaround for the entry boxes.
Maybe Aion can chime in on how stamps.com is.  There is no way I'm playing multiple guess every international shipment.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

somnif

I find it fascinating how, apparently, this change was meant to stimulate local businesses by making international e-commerce less attractive.

And most of the people I'm seeing screwed over are domestic businesses losing so many of their overseas customers. Its not like I can just go down to my corner PCB store and pick up the newest designs.

aion

Quote from: gtr2 on January 25, 2018, 01:01:20 PM
Maybe Aion can chime in on how stamps.com is.  There is no way I'm playing multiple guess every international shipment.

I use ShipStation, which is basically a web client for Stamps.com and is owned by them (but also does UPS, Fedex and others).

The transition for flats was literally just that on Sunday, the international labels started printing differently and my costs went up by $2.50 per order. Pretty seamless. Otherwise nothing changed about my shipping workflow.

It's $25/mo, so a little more spendy than the other options, but it saves me tons of time over using the Stamps.com desktop client which was awful. It worked really well out of the box and didn't require much customization at all to get it doing what I want.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

BuGG

I'm also using ShipStation,  same thing here... The transition was seamless. 

I too am curious how this is going to affect shipping times and reliability, but so far (aside from the $2.50 increase) everything has sailed along smoothly.

madbean

It looks like you can integrate ShipStation with Paypal API. So, that might work out for me. $25/month is more than I pay for Endicia but it's a worthy expense if it makes me not have to get on the phone with them. Phones...bah. How quaint.

gtr2

I saw shipstation integrated with woocommerce so I've been working getting everything set up.  Including inadvertently sending emails when I marked old past orders as complete in order to integrate....  (Sorry to anyone that got a random email from an old order!)

Shipstation is so much better, night and day.  Endicia pro was a deal breaker, unfortunately.  I've spent so much time on this issue this week it's ridiculous...

For those interested....both endicia and shipstation go to the same postal processing facility...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

BuGG

One good thing about ShipStation is that on a slow month (less than 50 shipments) you can step down to the $9.95 plan, then when you exceed 50 shipments in a month it'll prompt you to upgrade back to standard and pro-rate the monthly fee.  No hassle, quick and easy.

I have it paired with WooCommerce and a Zebra ZP450 printer, shipments couldn't be easier.

daleykd

Quote from: BuGG on January 25, 2018, 07:14:25 PM
One good thing about ShipStation is that on a slow month (less than 50 shipments) you can step down to the $9.95 plan, then when you exceed 50 shipments in a month it'll prompt you to upgrade back to standard and pro-rate the monthly fee.  No hassle, quick and easy.

I have it paired with WooCommerce and a Zebra ZP450 printer, shipments couldn't be easier.
This entices me as I can't think of a time I had 50 shipments in one month.  However, I use the DYMO LabelWriter 450 Turbo to print out of PayPal.  Kind of frustrating that ShipStation only supports 4" x 6" thermals.

gtr2

You have other options besides thermals.  You use shipstation connect to add other printers.
I use 4x6 thermals so it works out for me, but there may be an option for you.
They are fast on support response.  Very pleased with them so far.
Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

daleykd

Quote from: gtr2 on January 26, 2018, 08:45:04 AM
You have other options besides thermals.  You use shipstation connect to add other printers.
I use 4x6 thermals so it works out for me, but there may be an option for you.
They are fast on support response.  Very pleased with them so far.
Josh
I could just do domestics with PayPal like I have been and just do int'l with ShipStation.  The thermals have greatly reduced my shipping time because there's no more cutting paper and taping to packages.

gtr2

I follow.  You may still be able to use your current printer.  I would contact them and ask.
Yeah, the day I got my label maker I was in heaven for a month...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

When I went to the post office they had my stack of international shipments waiting to hand back to me.

I was informed that only a first class package can be used for shipping anything that is not a document in the US.  So using first class flat in the US is a no go as well.

So, as a result, I cannot use the workaround that was given sending to the global parner...

Maybe everyone else will have better success...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer