News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ermagerd. Berks!

Started by midwayfair, January 19, 2018, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

We don't have a "what are you reading" thread. Let's do it!

I don't get a lot of recreational reading time right now, but I finished Squirrel Girl up through the current trade paperback. Best. Superhero. Ever. If you have ever liked comic books or laughing, please read them!

Also got a fun math book for my dad for his birthday, "Things To Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension" by Matt Parker, which I'm trying to survey before I hand it off to him. Non-recreational right now is mostly math stuff.

thesmokingman

I read the Old Man Logan series recently and by the end I felt like this was a very extended What If? issue.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

somnif

Recently bought the first few collected "Transmetropolitan" books for a friend for xmas, which made me feel like re-reading my copies. Spider Jerusalem is amazing.

Also reading a few books on my nook. Just started "The City Stained Red" by Sam Sykes (Arizona native, why not), finished up Jim Hines new book (the first in the "Janitors of the Apocalypse" series. It was fun), and tried to slog through the "Mortal Engines" series after seeing the trailer for the next Peter Jackson produced flick based on it (Got through the first, trudged through the second, gave up on the third book and just read a plot synopsis).

I... may read a bit too much. Like, a book a day if I'm not careful about it. I usually remember to blink occasionally at least!

lincolnic

I've had an uninspiring couple of days, but a week or two ago I finished Paul Auster's latest, 4 3 2 1. It was a little slow to start off, but it was constantly surprising in really refreshing ways. Needs some time invested (it's over 800 pages), but I'd recommend it.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

m-Kresol

I've been reading Steven Hawking's "A brief history of time" on and off. I'm not much of a reader these days...

I'm still waiting for the next book of the "Song of ice and fire" series, so I can finally watch GoT again. I'm impressed I managed no going past the books in the series, although there were a couple of spoilers
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

peterc

Been on a Bill Bryson rampage(?) recently.
Notes from a small Island, Thunderbolt Kid and Notes from a Big Country.

Very funny guy, paints amazing pictures.
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

mjg

Recently finished "The furthest station" by Ben Aaronovitch.  It's the latest in his series of police comedy supernatural themed books. Awesome read, very funny. 

Today I've been reading Girl Genius comics...just about to start volume 16. 

It's 38 Celsius here today, so a good day to stay inside and read in front of the cooler.  :-)

Willybomb

I've been reading WWII air war books lately.  Enemy Coast Ahead, Fighter: The True Story of the Battle of Britain, Ginger Lacey Fighter Pilot, 633 Squadron, Nine Lives.

I usually have a couple of books going at the same time though, so I have Harry Turtledove's Earthwar series open, and I've just started The Fat Mexican, along with Enemy Coast Ahead.

somnif

Quote from: Willybomb on January 20, 2018, 02:11:26 AM
I've been reading WWII air war books lately. 

That reminds me of a book I saw on the shelf at Barnes and Noble earlier today:

Yep. Thats.... a thing.

Tremster

My bookreading has considerably declined since I got a smartphone a year ago. I really have to force myself to read more these days.

Richard Ford - The Sportswriter.

pickdropper

I haven't been reading as often lately, but I've been reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver when I have time.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sjaustin

Right now I'm reading The Death of Expertise by Tom Nichols, which is pretty discouraging. I'm also reading an advance copy of Rethinking Incarceration by a colleague of mine, Dominique Gilliard. Heavy stuff but appeals to my particular interests.

I probably need to read something fun and lighthearted next. Haha.

Quote from: peterc on January 20, 2018, 12:31:06 AM

Bryson is hilarious! Add A Walk in the Woods to your list if you haven't read it already.

cajone5

I'm always trying to read self improvement stuff... recently finished...

7 habits for highly effective people
The inner game of music
Forensic structural engineers handbook

Now I'm working theough Relax into Stretch. And next up will be the brutal PMBOK - Project Managers Body of Knowledge for the PMP certification.

aion

I just finished Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, one of the best I've read in a long time. I'm not typically much of a fantasy reader, but I was recommended the the Stormlight books back in April or so, and between then and Oathbringer's release in November, I read all 9 of the cosmere-related novels and all of the novellas/short stories, probably close to 5000 pages in total. Worth every bit of it. He weaves such immersive worlds, and they're all subtly connected in a way that forms pieces of a larger story. The guy's a storytelling genius.

Quote from: peterc on January 20, 2018, 12:31:06 AM

Such a good author. He's actually from Des Moines, where I live. (Although it's kind of a Hemingway/Oak Park situation where he hated it here and wanted nothing more than to get away, so he hopped on a plane to Europe as soon as he was old enough and never looked back - but we still proudly claim him anyway!) In Thunderbolt Kid, he talks about some amusing incident that happened in a middle school cafeteria, and at the time when I read it, my church was meeting every week that very same cafeteria. His childhood took place mostly along my route to work - so it was fun to hear how things used to be here back in the 50s and 60s.

One Summer: America, 1927 is also great if you haven't read it yet.